#900131 09/21/15 07:22 PM
K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
If you haven't read Ramona, you should *and not just because I played Senora Moreno in our Girl Scouts play back in 197something.... ) It's a fun read, a melodrama, and a crash course in California history.

What other California novels have you read?

"....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've never read Ramona, but I remember seeing the 1936 film version (Loretta Young, Don Ameche) on TV ages ago. And who could forget the haunting song "Ramona, I hear the mission bells above . . .")

But I have read Steinbeck's novels, such as Tortilla Flat, Cannery Row and his great work set in the Salinas Valley, East of Eden.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Korie, I used to live in the Hemet area, and they had a "Ramona Days Festival" every year. I was in junior high and high school, at the time. At my mom's work, they'd dress up in the traditional fashions of that time period.

Not too long ago, when I was cleaning out my mom's house for her, I found the poncho she used to wear. She made one that was all girly colors LOL. Pinks and yellow and such. When it cools down I was going to take it to her and see if she remembered it.

I barely remember the story. Maybe I'll get the book, and my daughter and I can read it as a homeschooling project smile

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
What lovely memories this article brought! My grandmother taught in one-room schools from 1898 (Started at 16 in Nebraska!) until she was 75 years old, and one of the books she assigned to her seventh and eighth grade students after she moved to California in 1958 was Ramona. When a cousin sent me recently a packet of her classroom notes, there was a simple Ramona pageant script included. Now I'm off to find a copy of the book!

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
What a great story - thank you for sharing!

"....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon
K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
I read East of Eden while traveling through France by train in 1984. I traded some forgettable novel for it, and am I glad I did. I've never forgotten that book - Steinbeck's best, in my opinion.

K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
I don't know Hemet really well, but I love Idyllwild.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.