Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#894085 06/09/15 07:09 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I have always felt that Monopoly and Clue are boring. Maybe I didn't play with the right people. But they always end up quitting before the game is over.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
I spent several happy wet-weekends playing long and unfinished games of Monopoly, when I was young. Then at the age of 45 I learnt about tournament Monopoly. By sheer good luck, our nine-year-old son won our Island's Monopoly Championship, the prize for which was a trip to the next World Championship in New York. I won't bore you with the whole story; it's told in a blog-post of mine in January 2013. Suffice it to say that we all frantically swotted up the rules and tactics of tournament play, in which games are limited to 90 minutes and as often as not there is only one player left solvent at the end! (No, he didn't win in New York, but came a respectable 10th out of 20.)

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I like Clue, but yes, Monopoly was boring! I was one of those people who kept quitting, Sheryl! smile My son kept an unfinished game for years hoping that we would return to it, but we haven't ... yet. Maybe it's time for me to finally wrap up that loose end. Thanks for the tip on tournament Monopoly, Gordon!

Lane Graciano
Today in History
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Lane. Your family games will be much more fun, with the 90-minutes rule. The time-limit virtually forces players to cut deals to exchange properties, because without a deal (of *some* kind) it's plainly impossible to win. Once an exchange has been made, the trick is to manipulate the buying of houses - bearing in mind that there is only a limited number of houses. Sometimes it pays to "corner the market" in houses, to keep an opponent from upgrading to hotels.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I found Monopoly exciting when I was a kid, playing with my little sister and parents. But, when I've tried to play similar Monopoly games with my kids I found I couldn't get into them...I think my life got too busy to just relax and enjoy...not sure.

We still play board/box games in our house today - my twins are 12 and they and friends bring games over. I think that is important. During that time they are playing, nobody touches a cell phone or a computer or has the tv on!

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
It's often difficult playing board games with kids, because they are so keen to win! So the *long* version of Monopoly - the one that takes all weekend - is usually best, because almost nobody ever goes bankrupt. This summer, my son and we grandparents decided to show his daughters (aged 14 & 12) how to play the 90-minute version, under tournament rules. They found it all but impossible to adapt to the fast-paced action, resented being hustled by the old folks, and clearly disbelieved that their laid-back Dad could ever have survived an actual public tournament. When they visit us at Xmas, we'll set a 48-hour time-limit, I think!

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I'm really inspired to finish that game now! We've just moved back and are now living in the same city as our son again, and he has accepted the challenge. So, as soon as our shipment arrives, we are definitely going to see who can stay solvent in 90 minutes. smile

Lane Graciano
Today in History
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Oh dear! What have I let you in for?! No, no: I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. We grandparents made a mistake with our girls of allowing one of them to be the banker. It would have been quicker and more peaceful if we had appointed a non-playing banker. It's the banker who controls the speed of the game - pays and receives money, properties and houses, keeps track of all mortgages, and gives consent to all deals between players. Good luck!

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Thanks - I'm sure I'll need it!

Lane Graciano
Today in History
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Bella won't let me publish the direct link to the "2015 World Monopoly Championship", but if you Google those words it is the first one that comes up. It includes a narrative of the final game, which is mildly interesting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.