Print Thread
#898098 08/13/15 04:51 PM
A
Angie Online Content OP
Chimpanzee
OP Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I began my container garden before going on vacation. It went wild while I was away. My friend came by and picked the tomatoes and one crop of bush beans. I had two pickings after but my tomatoes are now gone. I think we had too much rain. My basil is growing like crazy. The flowers are beautiful. I have some dahlias, loads of petunias, geraniums, and begonias. For the most part, the container gardening has been great.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Angie,

I'm so sorry that I didn't answer this before - somehow it slipped through the cracks on the deck!

It sounds like you have fun in your garden and that it's easy to run, colourful and productive too.

You mention Basil flowers. They are so pretty. Do you cook a lot with basil? If you do, then nipping off the flowers will send the effort the plant makes to producing the flowers back into the leaves - the flavour will be enhanced and the plant will bush out.

The flowers are edible too and make a nice visual addition to a salad or on top of tomato soup etc. They taste similar to but are milder than the leaves.

In season, I grow two pots of basil, one is strictly for the kitchen and regularly cut back to build up again, and the other is allowed to flower and look pretty and all that. But I am not so nutty, they complement each other all the time - I just love basil and tomato sarmies!

Anyway, keep us informed about your containers,

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 08/27/15 02:20 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
A
Angie Online Content OP
Chimpanzee
OP Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
The basil got ahead of me so I decided to remove it from the garden. I do have pesto that I made so I can use that. I have also pulled my beans and replaced with broccoli. I truly am sorry that I do not have any parsley this year. I have not tried growing it from seed.

Last edited by Angie; 08/27/15 04:55 AM.
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Angie,

Your reply above has prompted an article on parsley so keep an eye out in case it interests you still.

It's Autumn for you not so? What plans do you have in place for your Autumn containers and winter pot care? What zone do you garden in?

Whatever you do I hope it turns out well, plants actually want to grow I think, we just have to make it easy for them to do so!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.