#896657 07/19/15 01:14 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello All,

I hope you join in!

The rules are that you mention the name of a song with any flower or plant or tree etc. in the name or in the famous lyrics ... and then offer a fact or two about the flower so named. That way we will see how many songs we can come up with AND learn something too.

Of course, if the flower you name can be grown in a container so much the better, but that's not a definite requirement.

Come to think of it, whatever flowers come up will get people thinking about gardening in general and who knows, maybe containers in particular!

I'll start.

TIP TOE THROUGH THE TULIPS - Tiny Tim

About Tulips:

The tulip is the national flower of Turkey and Afghanistan.

Currently, there are around 3000 varieties from 150 species in total.

Tulips are part of the Lily family and, organically grown, the petals are edible.

Okay - your turn.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In the spring the area in front of the Palm House in Kew Gardens was full of a wonderful display of tulips of various colours. It included the Dutch and British flags. You'll have realised a problem with that, of course. They had to fill in the blue bits with a different flower.

IRIS - there's one by U2 & one by GooGoo Dolls (?!)

There are around 300 species of Iris.

They come in many colors - Iris was the Greek goddess of the rainbow.

Irises are distant cousins to asparagus and garlic.

They usually grow from rhizomes rather than bulbs.

Color and flavor are added to some brands of gin - bright blue, not my tipple! - with rhizomes from a certain species of Iris - and sometimes the flowers.

My adorable grandniece is named Iris.

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Great Mona, thanks ... we're on our way!

SUGAR BUSH (I love you so) by Eve Boswell

This South African flowering plant PROTEA is both the botanical and common name for the Sugar Bush.

The King Protea has now taken over from the Strelitzia as the National Flower emblem for South Africa.

You can grow smaller species of proteas in pots but they must be moved inside for icy winters. They need sunshine, good air circulation, can thrive in ordinary soils, but must have good drainage. Keep roots cool and never wet.

The varieties of these often strange looking and complicated flowers are many and beautiful.

The national cricket team of South Africa are known as The Proteas and the protea emblem is found in all sorts of places in South Africa from coins to heraldry to corporate logos.

Grow one - why not?

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Good day all!

BUILD ME UP BUTTERCUP by the Foundations

There are nearly 2000 species of buttercups that mostly inhabit the northern hemisphere.

Buttercups are easily recognised by their shiny petals. They also possess a pool of nectar, on the bottom part of the petals which attracts insects and aids with pollination.

Buttercups can be propagated via parts of the root and bulb or via seed. Not many plants can do that.

The scientific name for a buttercup is 'Ranunculus', and it means 'little frog' in Latin. Buttercups are named that way because they are often found in areas near water, just like small frogs. I think this is an odd connection for naming such a beautiful colourful plant, still ...

All parts of a buttercup are poisonous for cattle and humans.

I love their jewell-like vibrant colours and they make such a pretty show planted concentrically in a largish circular container. Try this and see for yourself.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
How about this for everyone's favourite?

OH, SWEET PEA by Amos Lee

**There are three main types: dwarfs, summer-flowering garden sweet peas and winter-flowering florists' sweet peas.
**They have been around since the 1600's
**The vines climb up using tendrils and they need support,
**The more you pick the more they flower.
**They look fabulous in containers!

The funniest name I ever heard of was Sweet Pea for an English bulldog owed by a lady call Marjie. I wonder if he realised what a naff name it was for a dog? Doubt it because he came running when you called him.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
DAFFODILS – Mark Ronson

Daffodils are one name for plants of the genus Narcissus. Another name is daffodowndilly, which I think is delightful.

Plant the bulbs in autumn and you'll know spring has arrived when they flower.

They can be planted in borders and containers.

They're easy to grow and quite hardy.

Their stems secrete a fluid that causes other flowers to wilt, so they're not so good in a mixed flower arrangement.

Daffodils are the national flower of Wales.

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Daisies are popular! Here are three songs I can think of and immediately start singing them in my head. Amazing how different they are.

Please Please Don't Eat the DAISIES - Doris Day ... or

Daisy Daisy Give me your answer do ... or

Whoopsie Daisy - Terri Walker

** Daisies belong to one of the largest families of plants in the world, they make up almost 10% of the flowering plants on earth.
** You can find daisies in every country except Antarctica.
** Daisies represent purity and innocence.
** Daisy leaves are edible and are high in Vitamin C.
** Bees and other pollinators love Daisies.
** Daisies have other medicinal properties like it slows bleeding, can help a cough and daisy tea sipped may help indigestion.
** The name is supposed to come from 'day's eye' as (like Gazanias) they open with the sunshine.
** Daisies are actually two flowers in one - the outer petals for one and the cluster of tiny disc petals in the centre (making up the eye)for two.
** Daisies are self-seeding and may become a 'weed' if not contained in the garden ... but that depends on your point of view.
** As fresh as a Daisy? Yep!

Join in now, what songs with flower names and facts about them can you offer?

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Green Onions - Booker T and the MG's

**Onions are an ancient crop (around 7000 years) and ubiquitous, and the varieties of size, shape, colours and taste differ so much so that it seems to be many veggies in one.
** Onions are a rich source of vitamin C, manganese, potassium and phosphorous.
** Onions are a low calorie and are high in fibre.
** Onions were worshiped in the ancient Egypt. These plants were always a part of burial rituals and tombs of most rulers are covered with pictures of onion. Egyptians believed that onion possesses magic powers and that it can ensure success in the afterlife.
**Onions at one time were used as currency along with parsley and garlic.
** Medicinal uses for onions includes using them as a diuretic, to improve digestion, as an athletic booster, to soothe insect bites and skin burns or to treat warts (mixed with aspirin).
** Crushed onion can be used for polishing of silverware and other metal objects.

Cooked, pickled or raw they are great … and I used to know a girl at school who would eat onions as you do an apple!

Have you grown any in containers? Tell us your story,

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.