Next Thread
Print Thread
#896689 07/19/15 11:13 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
46 years ago today, around the world the people of our planet watched as the first of our species walked on another world. If you're old enough to have been around then, don't you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news? Maybe watching it happen on the television?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Yes, Mona, I was watching it on tv from a prone position on the couch. I had morning (all day) sickness, being pregnant with my 3rd child ... It was unbelievable and to me it still is.

I don't know if it is a coincidence but last night on tv the movie Contact with Jodie Foster played. DH and I watched it, just as rapt as ever.

To take a line from the movie, if we're alone in the universe, it is a great waste of space. Maybe the quote was from Carl Sagan, who wrote the book of the same name, Contact.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Susan, you must have mixed feelings about Apollo 11 - historic event and wanting to throw up. Bleh.

I was in Italy, in Salerno, and it was in the middle of the night. But still lots of people watching. I guess now if there were something that exciting, people would follow the Twitter feed on their smart phones. (Except for me, who still has an intellectually-challenged phone!)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

On today's date - July 24 - in 1969, the Apollo 11 crew returned to Earth. Triumphantly, I suppose, though there was something rather undignified about landing in the ocean, being fished out by the Navy, put into "biological isolation garments" and then quarantined!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is an infographic about the Apollo 11 mission. (Click to enlarge.)

You can see in the diagram of the lunar module that it has a descent engine and an ascent engine. The bottom part with the legs made for a stable structure while the astronauts were on the Moon. When they were ready to leave, it provided a launch platform for the ascent stage.

At each of the six Apollo landing sites there is an abandoned descent stage. A few years ago the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, put into a low orbit, photographed all of the sites. In Exploring the Lunar Landing Sites astronomy writer Ian Ridpath gives us a guided tour.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.