Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#562966 11/09/09 10:44 AM
E
Elowyyn Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I've kept my hair on the shorter side for a while and would really like to start growing it out. I have very thick curly hair, so I've found the I can't let it go too long without a trim or the ends become so dry and frizzy that I have to remove so much length that all the growing time was for nothing. So my question is.... How often should you get your hair trimmed if you're trying to move toward growing it out?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
My hair is thick and curly. When I grew it out recently, I got it trimmed about every 6-8 weeks. My hairdresser only trimmed a very small amount each time. We call it skimming the ends. To keep the frizzies down, use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and smoothing products such as serums and hair creams. If you use a curling iron or flat iron, be sure to always use a heat protectant. Be very kind to your hair as you grow it out to keep down the split ends.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
This article has some good tips for growing out short hair.

Growing Out Short Hair - Without Losing Your Mind

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Now that I have grown out my hair, the big question is "When do I stop?" Sometimes I love the length and sometimes it's just too much hair. wink

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
My hair dresser says every 7-8 weeks. It will help ensure that your hair stays healthy as you grow it out.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
When I let my hair grow out (thats what im doing now) I just let it grow until it is the length I want it to be. A few times I have had the end just trimmed but when I did that it did not grow faster at all. My hair grows very fast which is why some of these days I will have it cut the shortest possible (the other step would be shaving).

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Hair grows at a set amount per month, depending on your health and heritage. The average is 1/2 inch. Cutting or trimming hair never makes it grow faster. What it does is remove split ends that often keep on splitting causing you hair to seem to not be growing.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I have long hair, which I think looks best on me - the trick is to brush it out thoroughly every morning to keep it knot-free. When it reaches my waist I usually have it cut back 6 inches.

At night I wear it in braids to keep out the tangles and so it won't be hot twisting around my neck.

It is naturally wavy when long and curly when short.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.