Next Thread
Print Thread
#893579 06/05/15 06:42 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Both Venus and Jupiter have been bright objects in the sky for many weeks now. I've been seeing them after sunset before the sky is even dark. Venus is the brighter of the two - you can see why the UFO reports increase when Venus is bright. But Jupiter also shows up nicely.

But keep an eye on them. Throughout June each night Jupiter gets closer and closer to Venus in what's a superb planetary conjunction at the end of the month.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 06/05/15 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
For southern hemisphere readers who want a guide to the sky giving your view, here is some help from Paul Floyd with Where to look for the planets in June.

Paul Floyd is a keen amateur astronomer and primary school teacher, so his site contains lots of useful information and great ideas for the classroom too. He is Australian, but probably the curricula of other countries have similar requirements.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Moon, which had gone to a slim crescent, is now so close to the Sun in the sky that it can't be seen at all. It will reappear in the sky in a few days with the horns of the crescent pointing in the opposite direction. Here is a photograph taken by the amazing French astrophotographer Thierry Legault of the youngest new moon ever photographed.

On June 19th, North Americans should be able to see the crescent Moon below Venus and Jupiter after sunset.

I'm not sure what we'll see in most of Europe, as they will be very low in the western sky. I have a clear western horizon, so hope that weather will permit viewing, and that the sky will be dark enough. June 20th may be better.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I guessed that sky would be completely clouded over last night so that I couldn't see Venus and Jupiter with the crescent Moon. Yep! Got that right! But here's someone in Colorado did better, and has captured the two planets and Moon with earthshine.

You can find out here what Earthshine is.

K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
We got some great pix on Thurs night. When is the conjunction the closest?

"....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
So glad to hear you not only got to see the triple conjunction, but photograph it too. Venus and Jupiter will keep getting closer together for another week. They're at their closest - which will apparently be very close indeed - on June 30th. But if that's clouded out for you, July 1st should be pretty good too.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
If you've been seeing Jupiter and Venus in the sky after sunset this month, you've probably noticed that they're getting closer together. Tuesday night (June 30) is the Big Night when they will be at their closest, just 0.3 degrees apart. The separation is less than the width of a full Moon.

Here is a picture taken of Jupiter, Venus and the crescent Moon (complete with earthshine) on June 19th.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I hope you caught Venus and Jupiter in the sunset sky last night. If not, have a look tonight. They were at their closest last night, but they'll still be close tonight - and a lovely view for a number of nights to come.

Here's the view of the two planets from Poland. (A better view than from London - too many clouds and buildings in the way when I looked.)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Jupiter and Venus are now slowly moving apart, but they're still a pretty sight. On July 18 they will be grouped along with the bright star Regulus and a crescent Moon. And there are other planets to see too. Find out more about the sky in July from the folks at EarthSky.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.