Print Thread
#895522 06/28/15 02:18 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello there,

Why not grow your own lemon tree in a container?

Given the right conditions anyone can and this is really an example of reaping what you sow!

Grow Lemons in Containers

What lemon-tree growing tips do you have to pass on?

Cheers for now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Everybody,

I have gone lemon mad ... I have been lucky eough to grow lemons and use lemons for a long time, but someone recently gave me a book on lemons, and that combined with my Granny's notebooks pushed me over the edge tee hee.

Wait - there'll be more. I am working on an article for using lemons for health and beauty reasons and that will come some time soon BUT IN THE MEANTIME I implore you, grow your own lemon tree if you can. Don't waste another minute.

Lemons can be planted at any time of the year and it bears fruit all year round, so you don't have to wait at all, just do it! smile

For a quick summary note that a lemon tree needs warmth and sunshine, good drainage with regular watering, fertilizer and mulching, regular pruning and bees to pollinate. No bees? Make your flowers kiss by brushing them up against each other gently.

Tell us all what you decide to do or not to do!

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 06/30/15 06:43 AM.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Are you already growing a lemon tree? How long have you had it? How was your first harvest? Did you make lemonade? smile

Tell all please - and if you have chosen not to grow a lemon tree, why not? Space? Effort? Fuss? Easier to buy them? Weather?

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hey there!

It seems that the only lemons that are being grown anywhere are being cultivated by the commercial producers ... or are you an exception and growing your own?

FYI:

According to the Agricultural Resource Centre -

In 2011, the per person consumption of fresh lemons in the USA was 3.5 pounds pa (which must be that a lot of people are eating a few lemons or a few people are eating a lot of lemons!) and that most lemons are consumed as a cooking ingredient, a garnish or as juice in lemonade or other beverages. It also makes sense that the demand for lemons is highest in the summer.

Also, U.S. lemon production in 2012 totalled 22.8 million boxes ... and did you realise that California is the leading producer of lemons?

Here in South Africa we grow a lot of citrus in 5 of our 9 provinces and export a lot too - so maybe the lemon you buy to garnish your whatever came from us?

So, with that kind of production, I guess lemons are readily available in the shops anyway, so why grow a lemon tree at home?

Many reasons! I can't think why not unless it has to do with the weather and or your budget.

Here's to luscious lemons, may they reign supreme always.

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 08/14/15 01:59 PM.

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.