Print Thread
N
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
N
A mom was arrested and faces crimianl charges for child endangerment/neglect because her 14 year old son in 555 lbs. I have heard of government interference but not to the level of arrests and criminal charges (maybe jail time) for the parent.
Apparently she had already received warnings from Child Protective Services and now the next step is being taken. Should a parent be criminally responsible if their children are obese (super obese)? Should obesity be treated much in the same way of its extreme - starvation? Also, the kid didn't get the that weight class overnight, but again, is it a crime?

Nina Guilbeau
Siblings Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
That's a hard call, but to allow a child to get to such a morbid state of obesity can't be right. His life must be SO restricted and his outlook for a healthy future is pretty dim. Granted, he must have some severe problems, both physical and mental, to get to that point, but he didn't get there overnight, or all by himself. Apparently the mom knew that she had to do something about it but didn't. Is it a crime for a parent to endanger her child's life by giving him drugs, or letting him drive a car without instruction, or encouraging him to rob stores? Children are not capable of making good judgements for themselves all the time, which is why we parents HAVE to be responsible for them. But if a parent can't or won't be responsible, then who will?

N
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
N
I agree it's a tough call. I just wrote something on my blog about super obesity. I would watch TLC or some health documentary on another channel and there are a lot of shows about gastric bypass for people who are so large they can't even walk. Some have to be cut out of their homes. I always wondered - how do they get that big and sustain it? They have to have enablers who bring them more food to eat in one day than the average person eats over the course of multiple days. A child can't get that big without help from home. In the case before the courts it's his mother's who is and should be held responsible.

Nina Guilbeau
Siblings Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
She may have been giving him unhealthy food and deliberately getting his weight up so he wouldn't leave the nest.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.

Moderated by  Nina - Siblings 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.