Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I watched a story on the news with my family and a close friend. Some remarks were made that set me off. I politely told them that they were wrong. But it still bugs me. I can't sleep. It's still embarrassing for me, what happened. They don't know. I can't tell them.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
What was the news story and what did they say?

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes, let us know the rest of the story.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey...It was a story about some high school girls bucking the school dress code and bearing their bellies. The wore crop tops and shorts.

Some women in the room with me made a comment that they'd get what they deserve for wearing what they did.

I told them no woman deserves what you're talking about and left it there. I had to steer clear of them for a couple of days. I was so mad. I haven't said anything more about it, but it has bothered me ever since.

Gecko
Gecko
I would say it like it is - showing your belly is an expression of self, and every girl has that right. Every girl decides for herself. Bearing your belly does not make one wrong and not bearing it does not make one right. Family and close friends are there to hear you out and respect your wishes/opinions.

diamond engagement rings
*www.encoredt.com
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
That it is Encore. They were there to here me out but apparently I was wrong. But I know I'm not. I don't know how they can think that way. They are women.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Jana, I agree that it would be upsetting to have people close to you expressing cruel and judgmental views.

But many people have knee jerk reactions and don't consider the implications of what they're saying, even though they should. I mean, would they really think it quite reasonable for girls to be sexually assaulted for wearing what is generally thought to be fashionable? What about bikinis on the beach or at the pool - are these danger zones, an open invitation to predators? How about women athletes? The official uniforms for many teams had, for example, female runners in skimpier clothing than shorts and crop tops.

As you can see, I think they're wrong. But if it were family/friend, hard to say how to react to bigotry. There's a certain amount of in otherwise decent folk, though sometimes I wonder how they manage it.

N
N
Jana,

Women are the best at insulting women and bringing them down so that does not surprise me at all what they said.

As for that story in particular a few if not more dress codes are really sexist (i had to pass a few petitions because the text was just feminist insanity instead of talking about what is going on) and in those places it should be changed. I do not know if at that school it is a sexist dress code, if it is then these girls were right in going to school dressed like that but if it is not a sexist dress code then they were wrong. Dress codes are the choice of the people in charge of the building it is in place and as long as it is the same for everybody there are no problems with that.

Either way what someone wears does not entitle anyone to attack them in any way (unless you are dressed a way you know you cannot where you are then you are in the wrong so go back where you live and dress accordingly if you want to go back there).

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks Mona and Nancy. I had to separate myself from them for a couple of days.

The one totally didn't understand was my friend. She's been stalked. More than once. She even mentioned how some guy chased her through a mall and she was wearing work out gear. It appeared to me that she was blaming herself for being stalked.

Ok this may seem extreme but I think even if a person would run around in their birthday suit would not entitle another to sexually assault them. There are nude beaches after all.

N
N
Jana,

I too think that if someone would go in public naked that it is not an invitation for being raped or molested or sexually harassed.

The only people who deserves that treatment are the ones who have done it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.