Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
At the moment I'm re-reading (after a gap of twenty years) the collected volumes. One to go... What a wonderful fantasist Douglas Adams was - so imaginative, so clever, so funny. Has anybody else read any of the books? (I have an enviably bad memory when it comes to books. After four or five years I've forgotten the plots and the actions, so I can read them with completely fresh eyes!)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I remember the title. I think my parents had it on a shelf or I could have read it. Was it ever a movie?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
Yes it was a movie, and they did quite a good job of transferring the complex fantasy into something almost as bizarre. I watched it on telly just the other week - and I've already forgotten how it ended! The ending of the book I've just read reported God's Final Message to His Creation - a classic of its kind. My wife kept asking me what I was giggling about.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I don't know what that means. I thought it was a philosophical type book/movie. Thought provoking.

Can you surmise?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
No, it's not philosophical, Elleise, or particularly thought-provoking. It's a joyous fantasy-romp telling the adventures of an ordinary young Englishman who hitchhikes around an infinite universe, in the company of an irresponsible researcher employed by the editors of The Guide.

It's hard to find any book to compare with what the author calls his "trilogy". Think of a fantastical uber-futuristic multiple-worlds version of Catch-22, and you might get a vague idea of its style.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I remember hitchhiker's guide to the universe. Loved it.

G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
Jana. Feel free to improve my description of it to Elleise! I pulled that off the top of my head, and I may have misrepresented the book(s).

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It's been so long Gordon...You did a great job!

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
hi Gordon, I remember this series. I read it back in the mid 90s. I LOVED it!! And on occasion, I find myself saying "So long, and thanks for the fish." LOL!!!!

But no, I don't remember it AT all HA HA!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
Hi Deanna. Yes, isn't that one of the best titles of a book, ever? I'm sure you also remember the answer to all the world's problems (or something like that) - which is "42". And who could argue that it's not?

And just for Elleise, who wondered if the Guide might be a philosophical book... I misled you by accident, I'm afraid, when I referred to God's Final Message to his Creation. The message was - spelled out letter by letter in the book, as the dying computer Marvin read it through the pay-to-view binoculars - W e a p o l o g i s e f o r t h e i n c o n v e n i e n c e. Which is also funny, in the context!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SF/FBooks Evelyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.