logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
In this article which is here:
Reading for your writing - clich�s I have ranted on about cliches in books that you read. (Rants are creative, I reckon.)

The idea is that if you see them in other people's writing, you'll avoid using them in your own.

There are many ways of being cliched and I have said that "one of the ones that really irritates me and has to be in every single book I�ve ever read (that might be a small exaggeration..) is the one where �he was solidly built, but still light on his feet� or �she was very chubby but still danced across the room as light as air� or �despite his immense girth, he ran nimbly around the croquet lawn�. Eek!

Every book I read this person is there � this person who is large for some reason but able to move quickly."

I was wondering what other cliches you notice when you're reading that you would like to share with us - your favorite I'm-going-to-throw-this-book-at-the-wall-if-I-find-another-Sumo-wrestler-who-dances-like-thistledown cliche.

What is it?

Last edited by Susan Alison CreativityEd; 03/07/09 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi PennyG

Thanks for calling in and posting. Welcome to the forums - I hope you stay and contribute often - it all adds to the Creativity of it all.

'Sweet as Pie' - hmmm - I see what you mean - it's funny how something that must start out as being obvious to the person who started it, is taken up by so many people who don't really know what it means. Or maybe they did back when it started - maybe all pies were sweet back then...

As for telesales people - I think they're one degree better than people who actually call at your door uninvited and expect to take your time to force their views or product down your throat. Hmmm, six of one, half a dozen of the other, maybe. For me, it depends on how quickly they understand me when I say, 'No thank you!'. If they still persist then I can get ratty. Difficult to believe though that might be...

I have to confess to not answering my phone or my door when I'm working - unless I am expecting someone.

Seem to have wandered off the topic of cliche - but we did start there...

P
P
A few come to mind Hit the nail on the head... Kill two birds with one stone... His heart pounded like thunder... Happy as a lark... Hungry as a bear... He felt like a million bucks... the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife... those are a few one liners that have been exhausted or "beat to death" over the years-lol

Last edited by Pepper68; 03/09/09 10:23 PM.
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Oh, yes - all these! And...

another situation one I noticed last night is where a new police/detective program starts and there are all the old hands moaning about a new, younger guy coming in to head them up and he's fresh out of college but all these grizzled old guys are full of contempt etc - they know so much more cos they've been getting their hands dirty for years whereas this young chap still has clean fingernails and no clue - and then they visit the scene of the first murder and he throws up (yawn - we knew that cliche was coming) - and then of course, in the end, he solves the mystery and suddenly they all love him.

Good grief.

P
P
lol- yes- so true!!!

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
And then there's the one about how she's convinced hubby's having an affair with her best friend. She even follows them and sees them very close and whispering sweet nothings to each other.

And it turns out they weren't having an affair at all - they were just arranging a surprise party for her.

Ack!

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I love that drawing smile!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
My pet hate is the one where two old friends meet, and the one who is married with kids feels her life is humdrum and is envious of the other who's had an exciting career - then it turns out the career girl really envies Mrs Humdrum who then realizes how lucky she is.

Makes me hurl!

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.