Next Thread
Print Thread
#889712 04/10/15 04:38 PM
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
*Atheists Who Invoke God by Name, and Other Linguistic Ironies* is the title of an essay in your Atheism section, which I found interesting. Yes, such usage is ironic, but it's just a force of habit. Mankind has always cursed in the name of the god(s) of the moment - and indeed of past gods too. In British-English the word *bugger* derives from a god by the name of Bog, who is still worshipped in the Slave languages; and in *bugger off*, *bugger me*, and similar, is a common alternative to what I will coyly call the f-word. PARAGRAPH HERE. FOR SOME REASON I CAN'T SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS ON THIS FORUM. In September 2013 I wrote a post on my personal blog that briefly explored this phenomenon. The post was titled - quotation marks - ... you and the horse you rode in on - end quotation - and can be found via Google by searching for that title preceded by my surname, barlow. The f-word is not itself the name of an earlier god, but its use reflects an ancient form of cursing that has been used in ancient religions. Or so I believe. What do you reckon?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
Gordon, I'm pleased you liked that article. It was written by the previous editor, Theresa Faulkner, and she wrote some terrific pieces.

In order to paragraph, press the SHIFT key and then press ENTER.

I had to go explore your explanation for the term bugger and Merriam-Webster has a completely different explanation of its origin. According to them it comes from the Latin word for the country Bulgaria, which was associated with a group called the Bogomils who were accused of committing sodomy.

I'll go check out your article, and thanks so much for tuning into this site. I invite you to subscribe to my newsletter, if you haven't already, which will let you know when I post new articles.

Daniel LeBoeuf
Atheist/Agnostic Editor
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
Thanks for the reply, Daniel. The Bogomils' name for their god was the Slavic Bog (= God), and their alleged homosexuality was simply a baseless religious slander - similar to the common Western slander of Moslems who stand accused of doing unspeakable things to goats.

OK, SHIFT + ENTER it is. Let's see how that works. If it does, I am greatly in your debt!

Bulgaria probably contains the god's name; -l- is in many dialects an alternative to -w-, so Bulgar and Boo-gar would be the same word, in some speeches. Bulgar and Volga may be the same word; the association of rivers with gods is an ancient one. Gods' names are a fascinating study, especially from an atheist point of view, I think.

D
D
Thanks for the benefit of your research. So much information, so little time to learn it all.

Daniel LeBoeuf
Atheist/Agnostic Editor
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
Well, not so much research as speculation, Daniel. My opinions tend to be based on logic more than other people's opinions!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.