Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I saw a sliver of a crescent Moon last night. I could also see the ghostly shape of the dark part of the Moon. This is called earthshine. Our planet also reflects sunlight and some of it is reflected to the Moon and then back to us again. Lovely effect.

Here is an exquisite picture of the new crescent Moon taken the other night in Antelope Valley, California. The enlargement of the Moon photo is even more splendid.

Mona Evans
For news, activities, pictures and more, sign up to the Astronomy Newsletter!

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Mona,

Thanks for this awesome picture - the earthshine is clearly visible ... I feel like a 'caveman' sometimes when I look up at the skies. How they must have wondered at it all without knowing what was actually happening - as I do now with explanations.

More pics please of anything skywise when you're ready! Ta. Smile now.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Lestie, glad you liked the Moon. Here's a more ambitious photo, and no one could just look up into the sky and see what's there. Of course, a good start would be to go to the European Southern Observatory in La Silla (Chile). Then you could see some of the world's clearest skies and far below, the Pan American Highway. But this picture is a composite, using a series of long exposure photos taken last month.

Taking center stage, glowing green, is Comet Lovejoy. Up and to the right is a well-known star cluster - you can read more about the Pleiades by clicking on the link. Further to the right, level with the comet, is the red California Nebula. It's a star-forming region, and hot young stars make the hydrogen gas glow red. To the left of the comet, there is a meteor streaking towards the horizon.

I have to admit my ignorance in the matter of the green sky - I don't know what causes it. The orange sky to the right is almost certainly low cloud reflecting the glow of earthly lights.

Mona Evans

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Mona,

The picture is very interesting - I don't think I have seen as many stars in the sky as you can see in that photograph. Or maybe I did when I was a kid and we lived on a farm ... and maybe I have just forgotten?

My Dad used to talk to us about the seven sisters (he certainly didn't call them the Pleiades) And whenever, he would point out the southern cross and the big dipper. You would have thought I would have learnt more but somehow I didn't.

Anyway, it's not too late to do more reading and visiting our planetarium here in Johannesburg. Of course it is not Sutherland in the Cape or La Silla in Chile, but there is so much to see regardless.

Thanks for your articles!

Cheers now*

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This is a combination of earthly sight and sky sight. It's the Colima Volcano in Mexico erupting on March 29, 2015. The photographer has caught the ash plume and lightning. Breath-taking.

Mona Evans

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona, that is beautiful! Wow, what a picture!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A problem with long exposures of the sky is fuzzy stars. Telescopes can be set to track objects so they lock onto them even as the Earth moves. This gives clear star images. Unless a camera is attached to a tracking device, you won't be able to get this clarity. *But* the problem can be turned into an asset, because the trails of the stars due to our motion can be very effective. In this photograph the long exposure has enhanced an aurora and created some splendid star trails.

Mona Evans

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona, that is great! What an awesome pic! Breathtaking. I need a telescope so I can get a glimpse. I used to have one but not anymore. frown

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Jana, a telescope would be fun, but if you have some decent binoculars you can see lots of interesting things. Personally, I can't be bothered with fussing around with a telescope - I like the portability of binoculars.

But the aurora with star trails is a camera thing anyhow. Optical aids don't add anything to aurorae. If you're lucky enough to see one, your best best friends are your eyes and maybe a digital camera. Your eyes follow the motion and of an active aurora and you may see it filling the whole sky. Fabulous. Except that you don't get much color except with the camera - this article explains why our eyes don't detect the color. And of course, star trails are only a long-exposure camera thing.

Mona Evans

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yeah, it would be. I'll keep the binoculars in mind. I'll have to check them out. My dad and I used at the constellations with the telescope he brought home from grade school (he's a retired school teacher). We also used to shoot off rockets (he was the leader of the rocket club). Lots of fond memories.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.