Next Thread
Print Thread
#887642 03/03/15 04:14 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
I came across this info and smiled at the thought of this interpretation of being married but keeping your independence.

William Godwin was born in England 1756 to a middle-class family of stern Calvinist belief, and he was educated at Hoxton Academy to follow his father into the ministry.

He believed firmly in the perfectibility of man, and that violence (and the governments who claimed a monopoly on it) was unneeded, and that only calm discussion was needed to effect change.

He married the pioneer feminist author Mary Wollstonecraft in March of 1797, they took two houses side by side to preserve their independence.

By the by, wife Mary died giving birth to Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin (Shelley) who went on to write Frankenstein.

Well, I guess living next door might suit some marriages - what do you say?

Cheers

P S He said, "Without independence men cannot become either wise, useful, or happy."

Perhaps he meant that in a broader point of view, in life and in politics rather than as a personal philosophy. Anyway.

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 03/03/15 04:20 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I used to think that this was the way to go, but I have enjoyed living with my husband for almost 36 years. We do things together, but we also have separate interests. We each support the other's interests. Right now, I am listening to him practice guitar while I make my posts. It is extremely pleasant.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I can't imagine living next door to my husband. We're independent w/out needing a geographical isolation.

In terms of "alone time" I'd think a room here or there or simply understanding 'hey my best friends needs some space and/or they're working on something or they just want to do whatever, sing, play a video game, cook, garden ~ that's the independent aspect.

The part I have to say where we actually DO need separate location, is, well, lol, he snores on occasion.

I'm a sleeper, where, the mask goes on and ear-plugs go in and if you just stare at me in the door-way, I'll wake up. He understands this.

He said something the other day and I've not posted it until now, "You're my best friend...when I go, I can't think of anyone else by my side that would be any better than the one person that knows me the best. I love you."

Maybe that's old-fashioned. But it works in my opinion, in today's fast paced, "Female independence" as well as just the simplicity of human nature. I wish for those that would want both worlds, that they will find such a balance. smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.