Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
P
Grandparents don't want distance to get in the way of their loving relationships with their grandchildren. What are some ideas for bonding, long distance? Share them here, and check out the Senior Issues site for more ideas!

Pamela Slaughter
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
use FaceTime or Skype regularly ...

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
My granddaughters are *supposed* to be learning English at school - and they do pick it up where they left off, twice a year when we're with them. But they aren't comfortable using it on Skype. They live in Norway, and our son has always spoken only Norwegian to them. We'll be over there in a few weeks, and we can do enough hugging to last us all another six months!

P
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
P
Gordon, it's got to be hard being that far away! I'm glad you get to see them twice a year! Your upcoming trip sounds exciting. Do you speak Norwegian to them?

Pamela Slaughter
P
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
P
FaceTime and Skype have enhanced many a relationship! I also love good old fashioned letters. I've always loved writing and receiving letters, but they're rare these days and even more special because of that.

Pamela Slaughter
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
We've just had our Norwegian granddaughters (aged 14 and 11) staying with us for two weeks, with their father (our son). Bliss, as you can imagine. They come over here every winter and we go over there every summer. They love the swimming here, especially at the little cove half a mile away from where we live. This visit they learnt to Scuba-dive. Only a resort-course, but next time they will probably want to take the full course so they can dive regularly with their Dad, who has been diving since he was 13.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Email, Skype, a Berlitz course or Rosetta, handwritten letters, anything that says you are valuable and unforgettable to me.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Daisy. A warning, here. I did a one-week Berlitz course in Norwegian a few years ago in Oslo - cost 2000 pounds - and it was entirely useless for the purpose of communicating with my granddaughters. The Company had a rigid syllabus that focussed on business travellers' needs - how to order at restaurants and book into hotels, that sort of thing. A complete waste of money, I'm sorry to say. Other Berlitz offices may be more practical, of course, but I can only speak of my own experience!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
There's a site named italki.com . You can hire a tutor and do facetime with them for just about any language and the talk is conversational not business. You can also teach on that site and list your own wage for the time used.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
P
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
P
I love that idea especially, since it also forces us to become electronically up to date!

Pamela Slaughter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Pam - Senior Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.