#886716 02/14/15 08:09 AM
A
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
A
Wild orchids are found growing every where. How do you identify whether the plant growing in your backyard or on your trekking route, is an orchid? There are a few general points of identification in this article. Consider these as a mini guide in identifying orchids in wild.

Identifying Orchids

Anu Dharmani

Orchids Editor

Signup for Orchids Newsletter for the latest on the orchids.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Anu and everyone,

You say

"When you see an orchid flowering in wild, please do not pluck it. Instead leave it for others to see and enjoy too. Take a picture instead."

"Also, be informed that in many countries it is illegal to uproot wild plants from their natural habitat."

Here in South Africa the laws concerning indigenous orchids are very strict.

Collection of indigenous orchids

Nobody may collect any of our indigenous orchids unless they have a valid permit. The only exception to this rule is if an indigenous plant is on privately owned land; that is to say a landowner may pick the flowers of an indigenous orchid on his or her property or from land specifically set aside for the purpose of cultivating these protected plants.

Buying and selling indigenous orchids

Nobody may sell indigenous orchids unless they have a permit to do so; and nobody can buy form a seller unless they see that permit.

Donation of indigenous orchids

Nobody can donate an indigenous orchid to anyone else without furnishing the full provenance of that plant.

Export and import of indigenous orchids

Nobody can export or import indigenous orchids without a valid licence and permit to do so.

Conveyance of indigenous orchids

Nobody and transport any indigenous orchid generally anywhere in SA without the necessary documentation and permits.

When you come to think of it, I am sure these laws will be similar in many countries as a measure of protection for their indigenous flora (and fauna)

Interesting article, thank you,

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 02/14/15 10:30 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
A
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
A
Lestie, I think nearly every government in the world has enacted some laws concerning conservation and preservation of natural resources. But the question is about the effectiveness of the laws.

In countries, like India for example, we have strict laws, but some times (rather many times!) you come across instances of total disregard of environmental issues by the local authorities.

Awareness is another thing that goes a long way in protecting the native flora and fauna, which unfortunately is seriously lacking, especially in the rural areas. Though, times are definitely changing now smile

Still, it is good to know that at least somewhere in the world people are serious about the welfare of the environment.

And thank you for appreciating the article. fish

Anu Dharmani

Orchids Editor

A
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
A
While doing my doctorate, I had to survey forested areas.

The area of my research was a reserve forest. Each time I visited, I had to take permission from the local forest office and they used send a guard with me (on the pretext of safety from wild animals and criminals elements with the jungle area!)

The forest nursery was the only place where you could ask for the samples of the plants growing inside the forest.

So, most of my samples came from the surrounding area around the forest. Unfortunately, at that time I was more concerned about submitting my samples than the environment!

Anu Dharmani

Orchids Editor

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Anu,

Your studies sound fascinating. What was your thesis? Did you specialize in exotic plants? Did you grow the specimans you obtained in the reserve forest?

And another a trick question ... which is your favourite orchid? My Mother so loved cymbidiums which in some circles I hear are not considered orchids at all, but as belonging to the lily family.

I would be interested in finding out?

Thanks and cheers

Lestie Mulholland

A
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
A
Lestie, my thesis was on various aspects related to wild orchids. These are the only exotic plants that I can easily talk about.

And yes, I did grow orchids from the reserve forest and let me tell you I am not very proud of this now! Though, at that time I justified my actions on the basis that I had to submit samples with my department.

Leslie, my favourite orchid is Papilionanthe teres

This is not a very good picture of the flower. I took it when sun was setting, so the colours are not very clear.

Cymbidiums are orchids, belonging to Orchidaceae and not the lily family. Most of these have large sized flowers and are quite hardy in the sense that they can tolerate a wide range of climatic conditions. No wonder you mother likes the orchids of this genus!

Anu Dharmani

Orchids Editor

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Anu,

I assume that the orchids you grew came from the forest nursery - so the fact that you grew them (and could grow them) is surely good if they helped you with your studies in this varied and oh so beautiful if complicated plant.

The picture above is good enough to see - and it is very nice. Does it only come in that pink colour?

It is actually a difficult question to answer, that of naming a favourite. There are so many beautiful ones in all hues, shapes, sizes and character that I think it is in growing them that one find a favourite.

My favourites in my containers are changing all the time as new favourites take over from old who never actually lose their places!

How about your writing an article on the South African Disa? That would be interesting.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

A
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
A
Lestie, people often become very selfish and devious when it comes to getting things they desire deeply. So, to say that all my plants came from the forest nursery would be wrong (I have been devious too!) But, I do have the satisfaction that I was able to grow them for nearly four years without having to go back for more.

Now, I rely on nursery grown plants only or on plants gifted by friends.

Lestie, once you get to know orchids you'll find that they are no different from other plants. It is just that orchids have individual needs. Give them high humidity, they will be happy even if other requirements (apart from temperature) are not met fully.

The picture that I posted here is of a flower about to fade. Pink is definitely the colour, but you might get different shades with different varieties of the same species. Favourites often change. When I saw Oncidiums and Cattleyas for the first time, I was bowled over. But I came back to Papilionanthe later on smile

I would love to write for South African DISA. How do I do that? Please guide me.

Anu Dharmani

Orchids Editor

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Au,

The orchid is a very popular plant in South Africa and there are many Orchid Societies and clubs al over the country and the subject of growing and collecting them etc is often on the agenda of Garden Clubs.

The South Africa Disa is a terrestrial orchid that is endemic to Southern Africa and as a genus is fascinating to all. It keeps on evolving to make itself available in different ways for different vital pollinators.

It is a simple plant in comparison to other blooms and comes in an array of colours etc. - three 'petals'. Many grow wild and anyway are protected by strict laws.

I think that any society could be interested in your writing, not sure how to go about it ... I will do a bit of phoning around for you and see the state of play and then get back to you.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

A
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
A
I did not know that "South African Disa" is an orchid. I had googled "South African Disa" and found out that there is an organisation by that name. Then, I got the orchid 'Disa'. It is mainly found on the African continent. (An idea of a new article pops in!!)

And that would be great, Lestie. Thanks for the effort.

Anu Dharmani

Orchids Editor

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.