Next Thread
Print Thread
#886943 02/21/15 03:27 PM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello one and all - I hope this finds you in fine fettle!

You do grow your own tomatoes don't you? Yes? Great! No? Not yet? Never mind, you can get going easily - there are too many advantages to growing your own and containers are great to use.

Please go to the Container Gardening site to read the article TOMATOES TODAY! - and maybe you will be encouraged to start if you haven't already done so ... and to carry on if you have!

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 02/21/15 04:20 PM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Lestie, when do we start planting seeds for our containers?

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Angie and all,

Start these indoors or in a greenhouse if you need to before the planting season so that when spring comes, the seedlings will be ready to plant into your prepared containers.

Of course, you can also wait to buy seedlings from the garden centre if seed-sowing doesn't suit you for some reason (I am not lucky with seeds!)

Don't start too early or leave it too late, but understand that WHEN to start will differ from region to region as it really depends on your climate. I always ask at the nursery for advice when I am unsure about anything or just can't work something out.

Anyway, if you can determine the last frost date for your zone then count back about 5 weeks and start planting your seeds then.

What varieties are you thinking of planting? I hope you will be adventurous and try a couple you have not grown before. Good luck.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 02/21/15 10:50 PM.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Everyone,

I have added an article called TOMATO RECIPES under the Food Recipes section of the CG site ... and since this week's article was on matters Tomato, I thought you may like to try them if you haven't got your own or you want to try someone else's.

The cup cake recipe is just too tasty for words, I am sure you will love baking them.

Another simple way of using tomatoes for a light snack was given to me by a way back friend and I still make it often enough to enjoy it regularly. She called it 'Manx Tomatoasts' after her Mom who came from the Isle of Man.

Make this by frying skinned and cored ripe red beef style tomatoes slowly until completely ‘rendered’. Just before the end when the tomatoes are a thick sauce consistency, season liberally with salt and white pepper, add a teaspoon of sugar, stir in and serve on toast.

NB There is no onion in this recipe - just tomato.

Have you ever thought of making your ma own Bloody Mary? Just add a shot or two of vodka to blended skinned tomatoes served with a touch of Tabasco, a stick of celery and seasonings of your choice. Of course you can leave out the vodka and just make a Mary as they say.

Anyway, I would not know what to do in the kitchen if I didn't have a tomato.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.