Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Today, the 27th December, marks the birthday of Johannes Kepler who was born on this date in 1571. He's best known for his laws of planetary motion, which also provided one of the foundations for Isaac Newton's theory of universal gravitation. In turn, Kepler relied on the excellent observations of his mentor Tycho Brahe to provide enough data to work out how the planets moved. You can learn more about Kepler's life in this article.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Nice to know Mona. Thanks!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Did you know that one of NASA's most exciting discovery missions was named after Johannes Kepler? It's the space observatory launched in March 2009 to look for extrasolar planets, i.e., planets orbiting other stars. It's sensitive enough to detect even Earth-sized planets, and this was one of the goals of the mission. By now, Kepler the spacecraft has detected nearly a thousand confirmed planets and there is still a lot of data that hasn't yet been analyzed.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I didn't know that. Thanks! I need to get back into astronomy. It's been a long time. My dad and I used to look at the constellations and planets together. He'd bring home a telescope from school (he was a grade school teacher).

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Jana, great idea! There's something special about looking around the sky. And you don't need to invest in a telescope, as binoculars are fine unless you really know your way around the sky and know what you want to observe. This evening I happened to look out the window at sunset and saw Mars. I was quite excited - the weather's been so poor I hadn't even bothered to check what I might see.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yeah. I wish I could afford a telescope. But just looking up into a clear, starry night...Just wonderful! The grandness of the universe comes into view. I've seen Mars through a telescope. What a sight. And the moon too. Been a long time. Right now, it's so cold here you just want to curl up in front of a fireplace. Wish I had one of those too. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Johannes Kepler was born on December 27, 1571. Happy 444th birthday!

Kepler had a hard life and lived in a troubled time. But he was a superb mathematician whose work on planetary orbits was one of the keys to developing a modern understanding of astronomy.

Johannes Kepler - His Life

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.