logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
Gecko
interesting note from yourdictionary.com (which claims Hispanic covers a broader segment of the population than Latina, but I still disagree with its usage since Hispanic is a word created for the census):

Quote:
For a certain segment of the Spanish-speaking population, Latino is a term of ethnic pride and Hispanic a label that borders on the offensive. According to this view, Hispanic lacks the authenticity and cultural resonance of Latino, with its Spanish sound and its ability to show the feminine form Latina when used of women. Furthermore, Hispanic, the term used by the U.S. Census Bureau and other government agencies is said to bear the stamp of an Anglo establishment far removed from the concerns of the Spanish-speaking community

I was only searching to verify its census origins.

But either word you choose to use, Rae is right that ear piercing for female girls is very indicative of Latina or Chicana cultures.

Darling Poor
Editor of Horses Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We had family try to get me to have my daughter's ears done. I was very firm a number of times and the issue went away finally. I want to take her when she is ready and have it done. I want to make it a girl's day out with aunts and grandmothers that want to go and do lunch and the works. My mother (60 yrs old this yr) never had hers done. In our family it is not a pain issue, I want it to be a rite of passage thing. My daughter has had on bright pink and people have thought she was a boy. Earrings will not matter. Oh and circumcision for the boys. The family had thoughts on that too and I gave them the research after we chose not to. He is 4 and the world hasn't stopped because he has a foreskin.

Elephant
Elephant
My mother was raised by a woman who was firm that only hooker and gypsies got their ears pierced, althought I became a heavily ear-pierced granddaughter to this same woman and she never once said anything negative to me about it. Or my ink...

My mom got her ears pierced by her oral surgeon, when she had her wisdom teeth removed. She and my father were newly married and he said he wasn't getting her anymore really nice earrings until she got them pierced so she wouldn't just keep losing them. His family was from Germany originally, and I think those women tended to pierce their ears in their teens.

A
A
I used to be the one that voiced my opinion on other mom's to wait until the child was ready. Until I had my own baby girl of course. When I took Sandi to her 8 week check up, the doctor asked during the visit if I was planning on getting her ears pierced. I said probably not for a while. But she started explaining that it would be really easy to do it now while she is so young and didn't have control of her hands. That way she wouldn't touch or pull on them. Since they would always be there-she wouldn't be too curious about them- it would just be apart of her.

She gave me some suggestions for moms having their infants/little girls ears pierced. After reading them and calling around to find the right place/person to pierce her ears, we went and had her ears pierced that night. And the doctor was right. We have never had a problem with her pulling them or touching them. And she is really good about letting me change them. She didn't even cry much when it was done and much less than her shots. Our ped said if they cry, it is because of being restrained or the noise of the piercing instrument.

If any moms would like our ped's tips, write me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

amyswor@hotmail.com

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
in my state you have to be 18 or have a legal guardian there.

My husband took my then 7 yr old to have hers done and she did fine, but refused to let us clean or twist them, so after about 6 weeks they were out.

My mother (not a legal guardian!!!!) took my then 5 yr old to have hers done several months later. She had 1 ear done and refused to have the other one done.

She wore that one earring for several months, then she was hit in the head at basketball and the earring slammed into the skin behind her ear and she developed a HUGE blood blister. We took the earring out and the ped had to drain the treat the blister since it lasted 3 or 4 months.

We won't be having our 3rd daughter's ears pierced until she is old enough to take care of them herself.

meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Amoeba
Amoeba
i got my ear pierced at the age of 5. my sister had her piercing year ahead of me and upon seeing it i wanted it so much. i think it would be better to wait for the time your kid wants to have her ear pierced..:) makes it more special

I was in the fourth grade when my ears were pierced and, four years later, I had to get them repierced because the holes stayed in the same spot while I grew and you ended up not being able to see them at all.

And I, personally, hate the idea of forcing something possibly permanent on someone who can't consent to it, especially if the reason is, "Well, everyone else was doing it!"

And, yes, piercing has the potential to be permanent. My original piercings haven't closed up in the four years since I got better placed piercings and stopped wearing jewelry in the original holes.

May the heavens receive you with charity.
May the heavens sanctify your spirit.
May the heavens purify your soul.
May the heavens recite your name on the whispers of the wind.
L
L
I think that if you are interested in letting your child make her own choices, you should wait until she is old enough to do so. Peircings are not permanent but the hole does leave a scar. Maybe your baby girl doesn't want her ears pierced.

Hi...this question intrigues me, as I remember begging begging begging to get my ears done till I was 12, and my mom relented. She had an age in her head (we're in the south, not hispanic or latino, just plain ol' white bread with a few southern "what's proper" hang ups), which was 13. Why? No idea. Couldn't shave, wear hose, or heels til then, either. No, I never did wear white gloves! So around here, I am sensitive to our daughter's wishes when she may feel she's the "only one" without, because I remember what that felt like. She's almost 9 though, and doesn't like the idea of anything hurting at all (bit of a southern baby drama queen), so is not ready.

My only hang up when I think of it done younger (other than for cultural issues) is in the vein of trying to help them not grow up any faster than they have to. Anyone else know what I mean? I suppose, in my family, it is seen as a sign of maturing, become more of a teen, not so little girl, etc. So, I hang on a bit!

Personally Yours,
Allison Welch Tannery
Pregnancy
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
When the child is old enough to make his/her own decision on this. A child is not an object, it is not a thing that you can do whatever you want with. And of course a lot of people who do that to their child freak out when they are grown up and wants (or got) a tattoo or/and piercings but apparently for these idiots it was okay to pierce their children when younger without asking them!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.