Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
AnaRuggeri, DolphinNose, chrisandiano, Sarah - English Culture, Lisa Bale
58314 Registered Users
Forum Stats
58,314 Registered Members
417 Forums
119,008 Topics
844,774 Posts

Most users ever online: 615 @ 04/22/15 10:11 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Nancy Roussy 244
Mona - Astronomy 132
Celestine - Baptist Editor 44
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading 38
Angie 35
Angela - Drama Movies 27
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 21
Korie - California/Yoga/Knitting Editor 16
Angel S. Class 16
Susan Helene Kramer 15
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#783409 - 09/20/12 12:02 PM Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase.
C.Ify Addictions&Children Offline

I just concluded work on the shooting of my first teenage movie. In this movie, we try to give voice to the stuff our young adults are faced with. Teenage violence is not something that just happens, these youngsters have issues too. At that point where they are hit with the fact that they have to leave their comfort zones, which have for long shielded them from taking responsibilities for their actions, and move on to the phase where they are expected to be accountable and responsible. Their first reaction is always to resist and rebel against almost everything that life lodges at them.
My point is this, the young adults should not be left to go through this phase of their life alone. If there is a time they need our guidance the most; that time is now. They may put up the font of being old enough to take care of themselves but we know that is not true. Some ways we could help our young adults through their teenage phase would be to:

1. RESPECT THIS PHASE THEY ARE IN: They want to be treated like adults, they want to express themselves in their own way and they want to be heard. So, let them be heard. What we need to do as parents is, encourage them to speak up, express themselves while all the time we gently put in words of advice and rebuke here and there.

2. THE IDEA OF APPLYING FORCE WILL PLAINLY NOT WORK: Trying to forcefully get any teenager into obedience has never achieved anything order than make things worse. This is a stage where you try to reason with them; that will make them feel like the adults that they want you to treat them as.

3. STILL BE FIRM: Much as you don�t want to create confrontations or make an existing confrontation uglier than what it already is, you still have to be firm on whatever rules you have laid down in the home. Make them understand that breaking or violating these rules would have consequences. Allowing them get away with stuff would only give the impression that you are not to be taken seriously.
Finally, always keep in mind that they will come out of this phase. Your sole duty should be to help them through this phase with minimum scar.

#799242 - 01/06/13 01:37 AM Re: Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase. [Re: C.Ify Addictions&Children]
Tuculia Offline
Gecko

Great post! I also speak from experience - mother of four teens and one a special needs child. This post should appear out in the other networking systems as well so that like facebook or myspace etc... This will allow all hard to reach parent's the ability to benefit. Thanks for sharing!

#879398 - 10/09/14 08:28 PM Re: Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase. [Re: C.Ify Addictions&Children]
Elaine A Offline
Amoeba

Loc: England
Good Post. I feel parenting a teenager is so important, taking time to be with them, guiding and supporting them is vital. Teenagers may feel they do not need or want their parents, but the reality is very different. Teenagers need their parent/carers more than at anytime of their lives.

#881554 - 10/28/14 09:52 AM Re: Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase. [Re: C.Ify Addictions&Children]
Alycia cullern Offline

Remember to be firm!!!! I have made this mistake. Cost me a lot.

#881708 - 10/30/14 09:41 PM Re: Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase. [Re: C.Ify Addictions&Children]
Elaine A Offline
Amoeba

Loc: England
Setting boundaries is so important when parenting children.
The key points to remember are:
Everyone knows exactly what the boundaries are.
Do not make unrealistic threats
Follow through on any consequences
Review boundaries as children become older or meet other conditions set out by parents.
Be firm, no is no. Not maybe, if, but or if you nag me enough I will give in.
Remember parenting should be a good positive experience. Be the good example. Boundaries are set for a reason, usually safety, not to be nasty or win the meanest parent of the year award

#882945 - 11/26/14 05:23 AM Re: Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase. [Re: C.Ify Addictions&Children]
cory455 Offline

They need our guidance and support all their lives.

#883277 - 12/03/14 05:36 AM Re: Helping Our Teenagers Through Their Phase. [Re: C.Ify Addictions&Children]
cory455 Offline

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely post. I totally agree.

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Today at 03:26 PM
Sweet and Spicy Ham Dip Recipe
by Brandii, Chocolate Editor
Sandwiches
Today at 01:57 PM
Herschel Museum of Astronomy
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 09:51 AM
Doodling Spacecraft *new article*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 08:49 AM
What are you looking forward to today?
by Nancy Roussy
Self Development
Today at 07:14 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 07:13 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 07:10 AM
Reduce Your Carbon Foot Print
by Farjana_Environment_Ed
Environment
Today at 07:08 AM
What's your Typical Daily Menu?
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 07:04 AM
The Distinctive Color of Flamingo
by Farjana_Environment_Ed
Environment
Today at 07:03 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.