Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In a post called "Earth from Space - beautiful images" I linked to a beautiful image taken by ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst on board the ISS. He, along with the rest of Expedition 40, launched to the station at the end of March.

But he's not the only photographer around! For here is a composite image of the ISS going over Darmstadt a few days ago with Expedition 40 on board. Darmstadt is where the Space Operations Center for the European Space Agency (ESA) is located. Look at the starry sky! I'm sure you can pick out the Big Dipper (Plough). Cygnus the Swan is also there, containing the asterism of the Northern Cross. Low in the sky is also the "W" of Cassiopeia.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 06/23/14 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
It's the season for noctilucent clouds, though I admit that I haven't seen any. When they're visible, it's during the summer months between about 50-70 degrees north or south, soon after sunset. They're a very high layer of ice crystals which we can't normally see, but in the right circumstances, the Sun lights them up from below the horizon.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In late spring and summer, if you're somewhere between 50° to 70° north (or south) of the equator, you might be fortunate to see an eerily beautiful sight, noctilucent clouds. They're Earth's highest clouds, forming high in the atmosphere near the edge of space, and are sometimes seen in the hours after sunset. This picture was taken recently in Holland.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Since I keep finding pictures of them, you may be starting to think that noctilucent clouds are very common. Not so. I've only ever seen them once and that wasn't as impressive as the pictures I put up.

And here are some more. One is a splendid video of noctilucent clouds over London. The second is a beautiful photo taken in the Netherlands.

Soo cool <3

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You'd have to have been in Russia to see this particular sight. It's a fabulous sunrise at the Baikonur cosmodrome where a Soyuz rocket was being prepared to send Expedition 41 to the International Space Station last week.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This is an absolutely mind-boggling cloud called a Fallstreak hole or hole punch cloud. It was seen recently in Korumburra, Victoria in Australia. I've never seen anything like it before, even in a photograph.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Unfortunately, you usually have to be quite far to the north or south to see an aurora. (Though sometimes during a solar storm the mid-latitudes get lucky too.)

This photograph was taken yesterday night in northern Norway. It was apparently a great night of superb aurorae in the Arctic Circle. Aurorae, of course, are the delightful outcome of particles from the Sun interacting with Earth's magnetic field. Appropriately, the dish in the picture belongs to EISCAT which studies interactions between Earth and Sun. You can also see the Milky Way.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Spaceweather.com put up this picture a few days ago. It shows the most absolutely amazing unbelievably colored clouds imaginable. I have certainly never seen anything like it. They're called mother of pearl clouds, and their beautiful colors come from sunlight shining through ice crystals.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've put up pictures of sun dogs and a sun halo before, but this magnificent photograph is full of halo effects. It was taken last week in New Mexico. It's really amazing what beautiful things can happen when you mix sunlight and ice crystals.

If you're interested in what each of these effects is called, here is a labelled version of the picture.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.