Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Do you love the 1920s? The clothes, cars, houses? The Jazz Age and the sense of gaiety and freedom that young people enjoyed after the Great War?

If so, I'm sure you enjoyed watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries as much as I did. Wealthy Phryne Fisher solves crimes in her home town of Melbourne, Australia and dances her way through the upper echelons of society.

Of course, it was one world for the rich and another for the less fortunate.

Do you think a series like this makes light of the poverty that so many people lived in at the time?

Or is it just a fun to watch, lovely to look at mystery show?

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
I love Miss Fisher's murder mysteries. I watch them on Acorn.com so I can see them anytime I want. Unfortunately, only two seasons were filmed. They were, and may still be, on tour in Australia. Hopefully, they will do another season at some point in time.

The characters, actors, and setting combine for one great series.

Have you watched all the episodes?

As far as your question about a series like this making light of poverty, I think that happens in quite a few movies and TV shows regardless of the bad times others are going through. We saw that in the WWII movies and other time periods as well.

I think it helps those who are going through bad times to somehow gain some needed cheer.

What's your opinion on that question?

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Edie,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

I agree with you that Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is no worse than any other movie or series in terms of glossing over the poverty that many lived in at the time. Including more gritty reality in the show would spoil its attraction as a light hearted and visually lovely period mystery show.

Have you read any of Kerry Greenwood's books? I really enjoyed the first in the series, Cocaine Blues.

It's true,too, that a lot of WWII movies don't show the reality of the privations people lived through. Of course, the movies at the time, like Mrs Miniver for example, were morale boosters more than anything, so couldn't show the hunger and discomfort that a real family would have experienced.

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Moderated by  Grace - Mystery Movies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.