Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There are lots of pictures of this year's Perseid meteor shower, but this short timelapse video is really something. It shows 25 Perseid meteors, noctilucent clouds, a faint aurora, airglow, satellites passing over and lightning. Wow!

Perseid meteors - timelapse from Sweden

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I was thinking that it was about time I wound up the thread on this year's Perseids, but I couldn't resist sharing this fabulous picture. Babak Tafreshi, a great astrophotographer with The World at Night, took it at a World Heritage Site in central Greece.

Have a look here. It really is stunning. Perseids at Meteora

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Connie, were you able to see any Perseids this year? I actually did. For the first time the sky was clear. Unfortunately, I was too tired, after a long day traveling (train 2 hours late) to watch for long. But I saw quite a lot in the half hour I managed.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Perseid meteor shower has already started. Rates of 20 per hour and some fireballs are already being reported. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (August 12/13) is the expected peak, but although it gradually tapers off, it continues for a few weeks after that.

Bright moonlight will cut down on the numbers you can see, but there's still a good chance of seeing something in an otherwise clear sky away from artificial light pollution.

You can read more more about the Perseids.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Spaceweather.com says that nearly a hundred Perseid fireballs have already been reported over the USA.

They also suggest that you look "during the hours after sunset when the Moon is still hanging low in the sky and the constellation Perseus is rising in the northeast. [This] can produce . . . an earthgrazer. Earthgrazers emerge from the horizon and skim the top of the atmosphere above the observer, a bit like a stone skipping across the surface of a pond. An hour's watching might net no more than one or two of this special kind of meteor, but . . . earthgrazers are colorful and gracefully slow, a rare beauty that makes any meteor-watch worthwhile."

I've never seen a Perseid earthgrazer, but I once saw a Taurid that just seem to amble across the sky. Fantastic. Usually I find that a meteor is something about which someone says "Look" and it's gone before you roll your eyes in that direction!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Google has put up a delightful animated doodle to celebrate the Perseids. Look out for them tonight if you get a clear sky. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning is the predicted peak, but they're already active.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Perseids are still strong and the moonlight doesn't wash out the fireballs. Fireballs are a common feature of the Perseids. In fact, the moonlight made them more dramatic this year. A fireball is a very bright meteor and it leaves a trail - the trail shows up beautifully in the moonlight. Here is a picture of a Perseid fireball taken two days ago.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.