logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Today's article is about the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls and how it has brought attention to the kidnapped girls in Nigeria. What I'm curious to know from you guys is this: Should other countries be involved in helping Nigeria find these young women, or do you think that Nigeria should face this crisis on their own? What is your reasoning for your answer?

Should other countries help Nigeria find the missing girls?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/26/14 06:17 AM
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Hi Andria. I hate to see you hanging by suspenders with no response to your questions, so here I am. To the question of whether the rest of the world should get involved in the search for the missing girls in Nigeria... my answer is a definite NO! Intervention would simply add one more war to the horrific list of wars. Foreign (particularly Western) intervention in the Middle East has led to a million deaths, and we should learn from that. Not that our corrupt politicians WILL learn from it, but we should try to peersuade them to shut up and sit down.

I write as a longtime human-rights advocate, and passionate supporter of HUMAN rights as the broader and more admirable alternative to the narrower CIVIL (tribal) rights. And the less achievable alternative, unfortunately.

It would be nice if we could get a debate going on the difference between human and civil rights, but we probably shouldn't hold our breath!

Last edited by Andria B - Human Rights; 08/01/14 03:30 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Thank you for your response, Gordon. I think you make some very good points. Getting involved could be very dangerous and lead to even more conflict, and that isn't something we would want.

I think it would be interesting to talk about the difference between human rights and civil rights. Maybe we could start a new thread on that?

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Most people don't know the difference - and the picture of HUMAN rights has been distorted by smart-alec lawyers who focus on trivia. So will you set up a new thread, or do you want me to do it? I'm easy.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I went ahead and set up a new thread that we can use. See you over there!

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Andria. This may become a dead thread, now, so let me ask you: How does one put paragraph-breaks in posts? Hitting "Enter" doesn't work on this website - for me, anyway. Thanks. PS. Also, the quotation marks around "Enter" show up on the Preview but not on the Submission. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; 07/29/14 11:25 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hmmm. That's a good question. Does hitting shift + enter work, maybe? I have no idea why the quotation marks wouldn't work; I might have to ask some of the other editors and see if they've had these same problems before and see how they were able to solve it.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've asked the other editors if they've had experience with these problems and it seems like no one has experienced it before. I'll ask my husband later today - he does a lot of work with computers.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gordon, are you using Internet Explorer? It looks like this may be a problem with the text editor not getting along with your browser, and Internet Explorer is notorious for that kind of thing. I just edited your post in Google Chrome and, without changing anything, the formatting worked correctly. So maybe try switching to Google Chrome or something and see if that helps.

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Thanks very much for persevering, Andria. I use Mozilla, not IE. But I will try Shift+Enter later, instead of just Enter; maybe that will work. Just for the record, it's only this Bella site that I have trouble with. I don't think it's EVER happened anywhere else. One of life's mysteries! Never mind; I can work around it. I'll post something later tonight.

Moderated by  Andria B - Human Rights 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.