Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I read across a lot of genres, and just for fun I thought I'd post some ongoing impressions of books I'm reading from outside the romance genre. This will be like an ongoing book blog.

Please drop by this thread and let me know what non-romance you happen to be reading. I love new recommendations! All I ask is please no plot spoilers on this thread. If you'd like to discuss a plot in detail, please start a new thread with a "spoiler" warning label, and we can discuss it there.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
As for non-romance books, the new Walt Longmire mystery (Any Other Name) just got released and popped up on my iPad (I had it pre-ordered). I'm holding it in reserve for when I need something other than romance to read. I first got drawn into this mystery series from watching the excellent tv series with Robert Taylor (a really sexy middle-aged guy!) and the always charismatic Katee Sackoff. The first book in the series was slightly too grim for me, but the sequels, which have a different tone, get better and better.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
And I can recommend this one memoir I read awhile back that has continued to stand out in my mind, Everything I Never Wanted to Be by Dina Kucera. Here is the book blurb:
Quote:
Imagine a "Leave it to Beaver" in which June works as a grocery store clerk by day, a stand-up comic at night, and struggles to stay sober all the time. In addition, Ward likes to get high, Wally is gay, and Beaver is a heroin addict. That's Dina Kucera's life.

Called "the funniest book ever about addiction," Everything I Never Wanted to Be by Dina Kucera is the true story of a family's battle with alcohol and drugs. Dina's grandparents were alcoholics, her father was an alcoholic, she is an alcoholic and pill addict, and all three of her daughters struggle with alcohol and drug addiction--including her youngest daughter, who started using heroin at age fourteen.

Dina's household also includes her husband and his unemployed identical twin; a mother who has Parkinson's Disease; a grandson who has cerebral palsy; and other people who drift in and out of the household depending on their employment situation or rehab status.

On top of all that, Dina is trying to make it as a stand-up comic and author so she can quit her crummy job as a grocery store clerk. Through it all, Dina does her best to hold her family together, keep her faith, and maintain her sense of humor.

Any story filled with alcoholics and drug addicts is bound to include horrific events. But in the end, Everything I Never Wanted to Be is an uplifting story that contains valuable lessons for parents and teens alike, and a strong message about the need to address the epidemic of teen drug addiction in our nation. It's a book that can change behavior and save lives--and make you laugh along the way.

It's not a light read or anything, but I found it unputdownable and not as depressing as it sounds. Well-written. I really felt for this woman and her family, and I think she draws a lot of strength from her sense of humor. Find Everything I Never Wanted to Be at Amazon.com.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Just finished reading sort of a literary horror novel, MIND OF WINTER by an author who is new to me, Laura Kasischeke. I'm not a horror fan, but this short novel was really compelling and really creepy -- a lot like something Joyce Carol Oates might have written. The ending was mind-blowing, if disturbing, and while I'm not much for dark endings in general, I was glad I read this because it was so well-written, so well put together, and so original. Here is the book blurb:
Quote:
On a snowy Christmas morning, Holly Judge awakens with the fragments of a nightmare floating on the edge of her consciousness. Something followed them from Russia. Thirteen years ago, she and her husband Eric adopted baby Tatty, their pretty, black-haired Rapunzel, from the Pokrovka Orphanage #2. Now, at fifteen, Tatiana is more beautiful than ever—and disturbingly erratic.

As a blizzard rages outside, Holly and Tatiana are alone. With each passing hour, Tatiana’s mood darkens, and her behavior becomes increasingly frightening...until Holly finds she no longer recognizes her daughter.

It sounds supernatural, but it's not. Again, this is NOT a romance, but if you're interested, here is a link to Amazon.com: Mind of Winter

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Okay, so I've picked up a legal mystery that I'm reading on the side: AN INNOCENT CLIENT by Scott Pratt. So far it's engaging. This poor devil of a defense attorney, who already wants to leave the legal profession and become a high school football coach, gets assigned by a vengeful judge to represent a loathsome client. He thinks to himself on page 1,
Quote:
A heartless judge appointed me to defend him. The hourly rate was a hundred bucks, about the same as a small-time prostitute's.
and later on page 3 he thinks about his client,
Quote:
I disliked him as intensely as he disliked me. He'd lied to me dozens of times. He'd run me and my investigator all over east Tennessee following false leads and locating bogus witnesses. He whined constantly.
Great job details and an interesting conflict. It's only 2.99 on Amazon if you're interested.

Last edited by Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk; 05/24/14 09:33 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I just finished a new book titled The Whole Cat and Caboodle by Sofie Ryan. Being a cat lover I naturally love cat mysteries. This one was really enjoyable. The storyline involves Sarah Grayson, the owner of a secondhand shop, and her cat, Elvis, trying to help clear the name of an elderly friend found next to her dead boyfriend.

Elvis seems exceptionally smart, but what I like most is that he acts like a cat. The other aspect I like is that Sarah is helped out by her Grandmother's close friends, all who are over sixty. This is refreshing since so many of the books I read involve twenty and thirty somethings. There is nothing wrong with that, but I like seeing older people reflected in a positive light. All the ladies and gentlemen are active and intelligent and full of life plus very independent.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi, Sandra! Thanks for the comment and the recommendation. I hear you about the older protagonist. Now that I'm middle aged, I like to run across three dimensional older characters. And I love cats, too! The only mystery series with a cat in it that I've read is the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series by Robert Crais. One of those characters has a cat who's a real character. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
If you loved famous horror author Shirley Jackson, you won't want to miss this fictionalized biography of her which I've reviewed on my personal blog.

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.