logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gecko
Gecko
KutieKay, if you used a good piercer (and I hope you did!), you should be able to ask them if it's a keloid and they should be able to tell you (your doctor could too but that'll cost more and might come with a lecture against piercings).

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
E
okkk sooo i know like 10 people have already talked about their bumps on their noses but my questions kind of different... i had my nose pierced once before and got a bump around my nose... i thought it was a serious infection or keloid so i took it out and it immediatly went away. The bump appeared probably two weeks after i got it pierced. There was no scarring or anything. A couple months later i went back and had it pierced again. This time i had it pierced 3 months before i got the bump. It's had a bit of trauma this time though... it's been hit several times so i didn't know if it was from that or what... i don't think it's a keloid because it went away without scarring... but my advice was to soak it in sea salt and put vitamin E cream on it and it would go away... is that useful advice? is it a keloid? are there other things i should do? i know i obviously shouldn't take it out... and i want to keep the piercing but how can i make it go away? i stopped cleaning it so i could minimally touch it... i don't know what else to do. PLEASE HELP!

Elephant
Elephant
The nose piercing eBook I wrote talks the most about keloids and how to get rid of them, which I've done myself twice. And I did it without seeing a dermatologist or getting cortisone injections.

http://www.bellaonline.com/ebooks/ebook33

The biggest cause of keloids is genetics, followed by jewelry that is too tight to the piercing, followed by "trauma," meaning a sudden yank or injury to the piercing or even from people who play with the healing piercing too much.

E
E
i don't want to buy a book. i want to know if i should use the sea salt and vitamin E... that's it... sorry i don't mean to sound rude

Elephant
Elephant
I've known sea salt and vitamin e to be good for healing, but I've never known them to reduce or remove scar tissue once it's formed.

Gecko
Gecko
You should be using sea salt soaks anyway, whether there's something wrong or not...

Elephant
Elephant
BTW, sea salt soaks tend to be hard to do to body parts like noses. You might try a salt water compress technique instead of an actual soak.

E
E
i don't think it's scar tissue though because last time i had it the same thing happened and it went away as soon as i took it out without a scar? and it would get smaller sometimes but then just get big again. i guess im just going to try the sea salt and vitamin e and see if that works

In my experience Vit E oil rubs can help reduce scar tissue after its formed, not usually remove it altogether but it can help if used reguarly. For any lumps, bumps and general problems I'd suggust sea salt soaks 2-3 times a day and Vit E oil rubs after any infection/inflamation has been reduced. If the problem doesn't seem to be going away after a few days you'll probably need to go to the doctors or at least seek advice from a professional piercer. I have 7 piercings altogther and have had a range of problems with them from time to time, especially with my ears and nose (cartilage is a bugger). In my experience sea salt soaks and vit E oil rubs can work wonders, not miracals however!

Happy piercing!

H
H
This is a super old thread but I thought I'd add a footnote. Many people think that "the bump" is a keloid, when much more often it's something called hypertrophic scarring. The difference is explained in Elayne Angel's The Piercing Bible (or see the troublehooting section of her website for free). Hypertrophic scarring can be reversed by using a bandage to create pressure on the scar, flattening it out. This method is recommended by dermatologists and is described in detail in The Piercing Bible. Another option is the use of a topical over the counter steroid cream (some people use this as a last resort). True keloids (much less common) can continue to grow for years and may require surgical removal; people who get keloids should not get piercings. If someone in your family has a history of keloids, you may be at risk. I had a lot of trouble with hypertrophic scarring with my cartilage piercings in the 80s, before proper piercing care was known about. It's been in issue with my two month old nostril piercing, too. When I keep it clean (diluted unscented Dr. Bronner's liquid soap followed with a warm rinse and a dab of neosporin CREAM - not ointment, use ice if there's redness or swelling, use long warm rinses when there isn't, and avoid touching it, it seems to do much better. When I bump it or start to touch it or play with it, within a couple of days I have trouble. I don't plan on switching out my jewelry topper (I have a threadless labret stud in) for at least another four to six months. Best wishes with your new nose decoration! Hope you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Holistik; 06/29/14 10:59 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.