Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The June solstice occurs at 10.51 UTC on Saturday June 21. For those of us in the northern hemisphere this is the start of summer. Hurrah! Those in the southern hemisphere have already enjoyed their summer and it's now going into winter.

You can read about what causes the summer solstice and some of the many celebrations that are related to it.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This is one of my favorite solstice photos. It's an atmospheric summer solstice sunrise at Stonehenge. A friend of mine took it and it appeared on the NASA website as an Astronomy Picture of the Day.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Beautiful photo! It would be amazing to be in Iceland or in the Arctic Circle tomorrow and see the sun moving around the horizon without setting.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Yes, it is strange seeing the Sun get lower without setting. (Assuming it isn't too cloudy to see the Sun at all!) But you don't have a longest day on the June solstice in the far north. For example, in Tromsø (northern Norway) the last sunrise was on May 18th and it won't set again until July 26th (and then for about 45 mins). So you can see this effect through the summer.

Last summer I was in Norway and once we got far enough north, the Sun didn't set for four days. Moving back south, on the fifth day we had two sunsets. This picture of "the Midnight Sun" was taken several days before the solstice. And it was actually the One-O'Clock-in-the-Morning Sun.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
What a great photo! And what an interesting phenomenon. I would love to see that (continuous daylight in the far north), though I imagine it would be hard to live there and put up with that. And what about the reverse? Continuous darkness come wintertime? That would be kind of depressing!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Karm, I'm sure you're right about the continuous darkness in the winter. Winter vacations to sunnier places seem to be popular in Norway. I've been to Norway in February and there wasn't much sunlight, but it wasn't dark all the time. Sunrises and sunsets are lengthy and there are dusky times too. In fact, sunrises and sunsets in the Arctic are some of the most spectacular I have ever seen.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I would love to see such a sunset (or sunrise). Farthest north I've been is US/Canadian border. I'd love to see the Northern Lights as well!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
June 24th is St John's Day and in many places the summer solstice celebrations were incorporated into these celebrations. St John (San Giovanni) is the patron saint of Florence, Italy and his day is a public holiday and a day of celebrations. The day finishes with fireworks ("I Fochi di San Giovanni").

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.