Next Thread
Print Thread
#867107 06/18/14 01:00 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Hidden things intrigue, fire the imagination, and move us to uncover them. In "Hidden Universe 3D" you can see what powerful technology has made visible. And you can see it in 3D on a giant screen. A wonderful experience.

Hidden Universe 3D – film

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 06/25/14 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The film doesn't say where the images of the Sun came from for the sequence showing our star. But as I'd guessed, the educational material says that they came from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory. The SDO monitors our star in ten different wavelengths. It also sends IMAX-quality images back every ten seconds.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Very Large Telescope is located on top of a mountain in Chile's Atacama Desert, one of the highest and driest places on Earth. In this picture, you can see the Milky Way in all its glory. It also shows one of the telescopes using the laser which is part of the adaptive optics system. This system combats the effects on the image of air turbulence. It provides a focus for the optics which are computer-controlled to keep changing the shape of the mirror in order to keep the image steady.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Hidden Universe shows the award-winning Residencia at the VLT which houses telescope staff and visiting astronomers. It was also a location for the James Bond film Quantum of Solace.The European Southern Observatory (ESO) has a video showing off the Residencia and its James Bond connection.

BTW there were no explosions on the site - there was also a mock-up of the Residencia in the London studios for that. I'm also not sure how much actual running around was done at the Paranal location, which is pretty high and dry.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Hidden Universe is was made by Swinburne Astronomy Productions. I've just heard that it's the 6th highest grossing Australian documentary of all time. It was through Swinburne University of Technology that I earned my MSc in astronomy, so I'm delighted at this success.

If anybody in Melbourne is reading, the film has returned to the Melbourne IMAX. I can also affirm that it's playing in the Science Museum in London. If you have an nearby IMAX near you, it's worth checking it out.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Good afternoon Mona,

I read your article which was fab! I was wondering when this film was released (and where) and if it's being shown on TV etc yet.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Allyson, the film was first released in 2013. It's been showing in IMAX theaters since then, and science centers and planetariums. But there is also a blu-ray version and apparently can be streamed from some providers. But it's 3D, so I don't know how that works.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Okay Mona,

Thanks for all of that information. My husbands really good at streaming! LOL...our cable provider has known him well! lol...I said HAS!

There are ways around everything in life! Don't you agree my lovely British friend! (giggling)

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.