logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#859467 03/16/14 06:22 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone, I am new to crocheting and I have just started crocheting a baby blanket, but I am having a hard time understanding the patterns. Here's what the pattern says; ch 147, dc in 5th ch from the hook, dc in each of next 102 chs, [ch 2 loosely, sk next 2 chs, dc in each of next 2 chs] 10 times, turn. Could anyone please help me with this? Thank you

Last edited by crochet beginner; 03/16/14 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
M
Hello crochet beginner. Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet. Sometimes I find it helpful to break a pattern down, step by step. I'm assuming that you are having trouble interpreting the pattern, so I've broken it down below. But if you're having a different problem, let us know and we'll do our best to help you figure it out.

In your example above, this is how I break it down

1. Make a chain of 147 stitches.

2. Then dc in 5th ch from the hook (this will count as your first double crochet)

3. Then dc into each of next 102 foundation chains (at this point, counting the dc in 5th ch from the hook above as your first dc, you have 103 dc made and a length of un-worked foundation chains.

4. Continuing on with the row - the next is written in brackets which indicates a repeated pattern and it says to repeat this pattern 10 times. So in the un-worked chains you will do this: chain 2, skip 2 un-worked foundation chains, double crochet into the next chain, then double crochet into the next chain after that. You should have moved head by four foundation chains.

5. After 10 repeats, you should have reached the end of the work and have 10 chain two spaces with 2 double crochets in between. You should be ready to turn the work and begin with the next row.

Melissa Rodriguez
A
A
I just have one clarification to Step 2 that Melissa has given. the chain 5 is actually a chain 2 plus the chain 3 that you would chain up to create a dc at the start of any row, so the dc you make completes it and creates the second dc in the row. (That's how I teach it) Just take it step by step and don't let the mass of jargon overwhelm you.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks a lot for your help Melissa and AuntieD. I am on row 22 and its says; With blue, ch 2, dc in next dc, [ch 2 loosely, sk next ch-2 sp, dc in each of the next 2 dc] 16 times ch 2 loosely, sk next ch-2 sp The sk next ch-2 sp is confusing to me, I don't understand what to do on that part. On the previous I was instructed to ch 2 loosely, sk next two chs.... Thanks for you help :)

M
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
M
Hello. You are very welcome for the help and I'm glad to hear you haven't given up on the blanket.

I believe there may be an inconsistency in terminology in the instructions. I interpret "sk next ch-2 sp" as the same as "sk next two chs." because the two chains are what make the space.

I've had this happen to me before. It's very confusing when the terminology changes in the middle of the pattern with no warning.

Melissa Rodriguez
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Melissa. That makes more sense now. The blanket has lot of chequered patterns and stripes and it would make more sense it I miss the two chains and dc in the other two. Speak to you soon. :)

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.