Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Guys,

Well I guess we have to accept that there are two sides to everything in life whether it is just a case of left and right (harmless in a way) to wrong and right (debatable).

I was thinking about the disadvantages of gardening in containers. Most and many have written about the advantages that containers offer, and many of us who container garden know these ... but what of the other side? Are there any caveats you would offer a new gardener? What disadvantages can you think of?

Just to start the ball rolling I was thinking of space.

An advantage for containers is small space gardening, but then at the same time that finite space inhibits a lot too. When you have filled your available space with as many containers as you can (for all reasons) then you have to settle down and accept what you have chosen to grow. When a new idea comes along, well there is not enough space to add another, then you either have to forgo the 'new' plant or chuck out another you already have.

So why is this a problem? I am sure you know, but one point I will add, is that when you have an established container garden, then often you can become complacent and let it just be instead of working it.

I have been caught with this myself so now I make sure I exchange 2 pots every season as a way of keeping me on my toes and renewing my container garden. I am usually good at keeping my resolutions but also need to try anyway.

Have you been caught in this situation before?

Let us know your story or tell us a disadvantage of container gardening that you have come across.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 05/19/14 05:25 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Watering containers can be a disadvantage in my opinion. I get tired of carrying heavy water cans to my plants. Of course, if I was smart, I would keep them all in one place by a watering hose.

Btw - love the quote, Lestie.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Sandra and all,

The quote is a bit of fun - it came from an advertisement I saw somewhere and now can't remember where. Still, even if I got it wrong it doesn't matter. Imagine propagating or pruning or planting a snail? Eugh!

How right you are about the watering of containers that do need more attention especially if they are ceramic.

I copy my Mom and have a 15 or so gallon bucket (prettied up) of water as part of my container garden. It is at the edge for three main reasons. It gets the sun, so the water is tepid and de-chlorinated, it catches rainwater whenever, and of course it is a ready source of moisture for my plants. I have a pretty enamel jug (1 pint) floating in it for controlled watering and not getting the leaves splashed etc.

Yes I have to fill it, but I tend just to keep it topped up rather than letting it get completely empty. I spread the effort that way and find it a friendly solution to the watering needs of my containers - maybe you will try something like this too?

Finally, of course if I am in a hurry, I still water because it's on tap so to say.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
One disadvantage might be the periodic repotting whereas in the ground the plants can just spread out as they like.

Ro Longstreet
* Wicca site and forum.
* Fun BellaOnline forum games here.
* My books on paganism starting at 0.99 cents.
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Ro and all,

I agree with you but having said that, I love re-potting my containers.

It gives me a chance to check roots and prune if necessary, reposition the plant, change pot size if needed, change or recondition the soil, check on my worms, change companions and in general 'work the pot.'

And having said all that ... a big disadvantage is not having much space to work in on the balcony and making a healthy (for the want of any other word you choose) mess!

Don't you just love gardening?

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Good point! I hadn't thought about any of that, especially the worm part. I'm at the level of a novice with my container gardening, and I hadn't thought past the clutter that can result with having to keep different sizes of pots on hand.

What's involved with looking after the worms? Do you have to buy some at the bait shop and then just sort of integrate them into the pots? Or do they get in there on their own? I would guess they're good for loosening up the soil around the roots so the plants don't feel too tightly packed...

Ro Longstreet
* Wicca site and forum.
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Ro and everyone

How much space do you have? Do you spend time on your balcony so then have chairs and whatevers? I ask this just to make a point and not to get a specific answer ... it has to do with you keeping lots of pots on hand for repotting days, and all the other stuff we need for tending our pots.

A person wants to love their space, maybe to entertain in it even, and it should not look like the inside of a shed.

I am writing an article soon on ideas for storage and décor for practical small space gardening where I will cover this. Look out for it please.

Gosh, another article will be about farming worms for your containers. This can be fine for small spaces and it is a clean and neat and frugal thing to do, and your plants will certainly thank you for it.

In the meantime, you can read this article about earthworms though this had a different slant to the new wormery info coming up. Red Wrigglers are the chaps you will be using for your wormery if you do one, earthworms seems to appear from store bought potting soil or if you have a bigger garden space, they will just migrate through the soil (from your neighbours) to where there is 'food' and conditions are optimal.

Eek! Earthworms in my Containers

In the meantime say cheers and keep gardening, your pots always say something to you ...

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 05/24/14 01:42 AM.

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I'm with the opinion that frequent watering is the main issue - but I, too, keep a large watering can topped off so it's always ready to use if something looks too dry.

I also like your quote ...

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Fascinating article, Lestie! Earthworms can live up to 15 years? I had NO idea. That's getting close to the lifespan of your average housecat!

Ro Longstreet
* Wicca site and forum.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Lestie, I used to use earthworms in my science classes to show how they help construct gorgeous soil.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.