Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I wanted to post my experience as a caution to fellow homeowners. This applies to renters, too.

The lights in my house were going dim and then very bright. At first, I didn't pay any attention because the local power company was putting in new poles. I had a few small appliances misfunction but otherwise I attributed it to the contrariness of electronics. Just recently my microwave died. So I bought a new one. When that malfunctioned I began to think something was wrong with my power.

I called the power company and they came out and determined that I have an "open neutral" on the line. This means that the neutral wire that grounds the hot current wires is not working properly. In my case, it is probably loose because my lights dim/brighten only intermittently. I still have power.

The upshot of this is that they have yet to fix it since it was not "malfunctioning" when they came out. I'm still trying to get them to fix this problem. It has the potential to be dangerous. At the worst, it can start a fire from one of the 110 volt appliances suddenly getting 220 volts.

So if you notice anything like this in your home or apartment, I suggest you call your landlord (renters) or your power company. This could be a potentially serious problem.

Also, if anyone has ever dealt with this, please let me know how you got the problem solved. Right now, I am cautious with anything I'm using in the house and I've been told it is most likely to destroy my computer than anything else. Yikes!

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Would a surge protector keep your valuable appliances and electronics safe? Are these losses covered on your homeowner or renter's insurance?
This is a potentially scary problem - I hope someone has some good advice for you!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The lineman I talked to said that a surge protector wouldn't help. Thankfully, the problem seems to have resolved. My guess is that it was being caused by the work the electric company was doing in the area. They were putting in new poles. Once I complained a few times, the problem was resolved with no explanation. This occurred about the same time the work was completed in the area.

We were fortunate. I have read of other instances where people lost a bunch of appliances until the issue was found. To be honest, I am not sure if they are covered under insurance or not.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

Yes your are correct!! Also you need to more aware about this. Although I am new to here but I am very worried to know more about this. Thank you very much

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.