Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've decided to start some ongoing threads on books, the first of which is Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhanta Gunuratana. This is a classic, one of the most straighforward and complete books for beginners on mindfulness meditation as it is taught in the Theravada tradition, and it is respected by instructors of all traditions. The 20th anniversary edition was published last year.

I'll share some of Gunuratana's insights on mindfulness and meditation in this thread, along with my own thoughts.

First I wanted to share what he calls 'The Misconceptions About Meditation':

"Misconception 1: Meditation is just a relaxation technique.

Misconception 2: Meditation Means Going Into A Trance

Misconception 3: Meditation is a mysterious practice that cannot be understood.

Misconception 4: The purpose of meditation is to become psychic.

Misconception 5: Meditation is dangerous, and a prudent person should avoid it.

Misconception 6: Meditation is for saints and sadhus, not for regular people.

Misconception 7: Meditation is running from reality.

Misconception 8: Meditation is a great way to get high.

Misconception 9: Meditation is selfish.

Misconception 10: When you meditate, you sit around thinking lofty thoughts.

Misconception 11: A couple weeks of meditation, and all my problems will go away."

I think this is a great list! He talks in more detail about each one, but I think even just reading through this list can help clear any obstacles one might have. If I had to add a twelfth, it would be something like this:

Misconception 12: Meditation is not for me.

Because I have heard many people say 'my mind is just too busy, it's just not for me', or 'I just can't meditate.' I think usually there is some expectation in the minds of these people, and when meditation doesn't meet that expectation, they decide it's not for them. But meditation is for everyone! The pulling of our mind back over and over IS the meditation, the most important part, and the part that will yield insights over time....

Any others anyone can think of?

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The first sentence of the next chapter is, "Meditation is a word, and words are used in different ways by different speakers."

He goes on to talk about how this is important because most spiritual traditions have some form of what they call meditation, but the actual method is quite different in each tradition. A lot of them involve 'doing' something with the mind - concentrating on the breath, chakra, symbol, chant, etc. And while Buddhist traditions also include these, Buddhist meditation is always about the development of awareness.

I teach various forms of meditaiton, including chakra meditation which is very different from the insight form that Bhante Gunuratana teaches, but I actually think the goal of this meditation is the same - the development of awareness. It doesn't always seem like it though, because we are focusing on the chakras and the energies we feel there. But they are all different expressions of pure awareness, and ultimately, focusing on them leads us back to that.

In insight meditation, one focuses directly on awareness itself. After the concentration stages, one turns the mind back on itself to discover the seat of awareness itself.

In any case, the whole point of this chapter is that this is the common thread for him between any contemplative methods that call themselves 'meditation' - that they are meant to develop awareness. More on this next time...

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
This straightforward paragraph in the second chapter of this book really summarizes the Buddhist attitude towards self:

"A close inspection reveals that we have done the same thing to 'me' that we have done to all other perceptions. We have taken a flowing vortex of thought, feeling, and sensation and solidified that into a mental construct. Then we have stuck a label onto it: 'me.' Forever after, we treat it as if it were a static and enduring entity. We view it as a thing separate from all other things. We pinch ourselves off from the rest of that process of eternal change that is the universe, and then we grieve over how lonely we feel. We ignore our inherent connectedness to all other beings and decide that "I" have to get more for "me"; then we marvel at how greedy and insensitive human beings are. And on it goes. Every evil deed, every example of heartlessness in the world, stems directly from this false sense of 'me' as distinct from everything else."
- Bhante Gunuratana, Mindfulness in Plain English

I would add that all the practices of Buddhism, as well as the practices of many other spiritual traditions, is to help us reverse this - to help use see beyond 'me' in all it forms, and to reinstate our connection to the universe. When you put it that way, sounds simple, right?

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa -

This sounds like a wonderful book. I've ordered a copy and should have it (and the other one) on Thursday. I love Amazon Prime smile.

I strive to meditate every evening at 10pm. I also meditate (briefly) as part of my morning yoga routine. I find meditation helps immensely with my focus and clarity.

I love the many different forms of meditation and like experimenting with them.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Great Lisa, it's really a classic book. He has another one called Beyond Mindfulness that provides advice for those who have meditated for awhile and are looking to understand the practice more in the context of awakening/enlightenment. I may move on to that book after I finish offering commentary on this one.

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I look forward to hearing more about both!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Moving on in the book, Gunaratana provides a counter list to the one above - a list of advice for cultivating the correct mental 'attitude' in meditation. Attitude is used here a little differently than we might usually think of it. It is more like an overall state of awareness and approach towards meditation, or an attitude we adopt towards ourselves and our own mind in meditation. Here is Gunaratana's list:

"1) Don't expect anything.

2) Don't strain.

3) Don't rush.

4) Don't cling to anything and don't reject anything.

5) Let go.

6) Accept everything that arises.

7) Be gentle with yourself.

8) Investigate yourself.

9) View all problems as challenges.

10) Don't ponder.

11) Don't dwell upon contrasts."

- From the chapter on Attitude in Mindfulness in Plain English

I think most of these are self-explanatory, though perhaps the last one could use a little more explanation. 'Contrast' in this sense means comparison - he's referring to the habit our mind has of constantly comparing ourselves to others, and various things we encounter to each other. We are constantly judging things good and bad. A key step to experiencing things just as they ARE in the moment is to break this habit - to not compare or judge but just observe.

Really, when one reads through this list, it is like an advice list for life too, not only meditation! And I think this is a very key point - insight meditation such as this is really training for daily life. Our sitting meditation practice aids our daily mindfulness, and the tools we learn in each helps us to respond rather than react in almost any situation in our lives.

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The next chapter in Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunuratana is on the practice itself, and how to handle when the mind wanders. The practice is basic breath mindfulness meditation - watching the breath, and centering in breath awareness. Here are his suggestions for dealing with the mind wandering - these are really meant to help develop concentration, the first level of meditation. In later chapters, he delves into handling many specific kinds of distractions.

1) Count - this is a common suggestion for breath meditation, and there are various methods suggested. Count 1-10 and then start over, or count 1-10 then backwards - these are probably the 2 most prevalent. You can count breaths, or do long breaths and count within each breath.

2) Connecting - instead of pausing at the top of the breath, focus on connecting the inhale and exhale as one continuous breath.

3) Fixing - Once you have a sense of your breath as one continuous breath, fix your attention on the point at the rim of your nose where you feel it the most.

4) Focus your mind like a computer - just like a carpenter focuses 100% on the line he is cutting in a board, rather than focusing on the saw itself, or the movement, so focus 100% of your attention on the rim of your nose.

5) Make your mind like a gatekeeper - just as a gatekeeper's job is simply to record those who enter and leave, not to pass judgement on them, so the mind's attitude should be that of simply noting, not judging.

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The next chapter in Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunuratana is on the practice itself, and how to handle when the mind wanders. The practice is basic breath mindfulness meditation - watching the breath, and centering in breath awareness. Here are his suggestions for dealing with the mind wandering - these are really meant to help develop concentration, the first level of meditation. In later chapters, he delves into handling many specific kinds of distractions.

1) Count - this is a common suggestion for breath meditation, and there are various methods suggested. Count 1-10 and then start over, or count 1-10 then backwards - these are probably the 2 most prevalent. You can count breaths, or do long breaths and count within each breath.

2) Connecting - instead of pausing at the top of the breath, focus on connecting the inhale and exhale as one continuous breath.

3) Fixing - Once you have a sense of your breath as one continuous breath, fix your attention on the point at the rim of your nose where you feel it the most.

4) Focus your mind like a carpenter - just like a carpenter focuses 100% on the line he is cutting in a board, rather than focusing on the saw itself, or the movement, so focus 100% of your attention on the rim of your nose.

5) Make your mind like a gatekeeper - just as a gatekeeper's job is simply to record those who enter and leave, not to pass judgement on them, so the mind's attitude should be that of simply noting, not judging.

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 05/19/14 07:25 PM.

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The next chapter in Mindfulness in Plain English talks about something that often gets short shrift in meditation training, but that I have found to be extremely important, and that is posture. Our mind and body are so linked, you will often find that when your mind wanders, if you then tune into your body, your body is either slouched (if you have been feeling dreamy or sleepy) or tense somewhere, like a clenched jaw or stomach (if your mind is very busy.) Our posture is often a perfect reflection of our state of mind.

Conversely, attending to our posture can become a meditation itself, and shift our mind. Just by focusing on a straight, alert spine, pulling upward but without straining or tension, we will find our mind becomes more alert and centered. So I often advise people to do exactly this as their meditation - simply try to find and maintain the perfect posture. You don't have to be in lotus position, or even cross-legged to do this, just sitting in a chair is fine. But focus on your spine, and on aligning it, one vertebrae on top of another, to the best of your ability. And try to simply maintain that. You will quickly discover the link between your mind and posture and/or muscular tension.

Buddhism Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.