logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kuvasz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi. My girls, ages 16 and 18, have attended several meetings of the local spinning and weaving guild and really want to get into spinning.

They want an Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel, but are considering getting it off of ebay - from New Zealand, btw, and we live in PA.

Is this a good machine to start with, and where can we get a good deal on one? New ones seem to begin at $320 (unfinished) and the "pre-loved" ones on ebay are around $200 plus shipping.

I was hoping to get a new one online somewhere for around $200, but that may be impossible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

- Don

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
L
Sorry for the long delay in replying, and I certainly hope you have found a source for a new wheel. Yes, this would be a great choice to beging with, and to keep! I learned on an Ashford, and many people adore their Ashford wheels and never choose anything else.

Here is a site that frequently offers used equipment. Maybe if you still need a wheel, it will help!

http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbspin.html

Thanks,
Cara

N
N
Yes, even I have seen many people adoring their Ashford wheels, they usually don't prefer any other over it. I hope you find a good deal soon, do share it here when you find one.

Last edited by nevinlee; 12/19/12 09:11 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I have an Ashford Traditional, and love it. It is simple to use, and it is relatively common, so it is easy to get replacement parts.
i hope the OP has found one - it took me forever to find a used wheel I could afford!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Yes, the Ashford is a very good wheel for beginners as well as seasoned spinners. My Grandmother was a spinner. They were poor farm people on a Wisconsin farm many years ago and she did not spin for fun or enjoyment as we do today. She had to make my dads, aunts, and uncles stockings, sweaters, scarfs, and wool blankets as there was no money to go to the store and purchase such things.When I was young I had a feeling that when she died that the art would be lost so I learned it. I have many antique wheels. Have sold quite a few on the net and have for many years taught classroom spinning with both flax and wool.
The Ashford is very good at spinning both fibers but with the flax you will need a separate distaff if spinning long line strick flax. It is a very enjoyable and ancient art !! Hope it is alright if I put in my 2 cents worth, dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 04/15/14 03:03 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.