Print Thread
#859585 03/17/14 03:26 PM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello there,

I came across this very interesting topic today - what do you know about it? There are many plants that are being used with this process, sunflowers being one, Allysum another.

I guess if you break down the word to phyto (meaning plant) and remediation (meaning bettering in some way) then it makes sense to say that phyto-remediation is a way of cleansing the earth by growing certain plants to rid the soil of dangerous chemicals and such by absorption.

Of course the plants used are not edible, given that they were edible to start with (like cabbage etc.) Once they have done their work, they are harvested and destroyed.

I am still doing my research on what I find is a fascinating subject - so more on it later. Just thought I would ask if you have come across it before and what you think.

Cheers now,

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Everyone,

In my further reading I found out that one of the plants used for this global phytoremediation programme is the sunflower.

Go here to read about it, especially the last paragraph of the article where I mention this.

Pots of Sunflowers

Maybe you will find the subject as interesting as I have and who knows, maybe you will be tempted to grow some of these really beautiful flowers!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello one and all,

I came across this article in connection with cadmium and other heavy metals in the soil in China and it is really scary. Apparently almost 20% of Chinese soil is too contaminated to grow food and that as usual, while the source of the contamination and pollution has to be controlled and stopped, the cost of cleaning up these contaminated areas and making them useful once more for growing rice (the staple diet of many) and other foods and rice seems too high and time consuming.

Time consuming is one thing - and here work across the world has shown that there are many plants (like sunflowers and cabbages) that can be used in phytoremediation, BUT the will of the people and governments has to be there too. Action just has to be taken.

Contaminated Soil in China

I wonder - what foodstuffs does China export?

Sober for now will say cheers as usual and ask you to grow a sunflower just because it will remind you of things important!

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.