Print Thread
#861445 04/10/14 12:53 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi there everyone,

** Please describe your balcony or deck or patio or stoep, or pool surround or wherever it is that you have your containers.

** And then, please tell me how many containers you are looking after right now? Are they big? small? a variety of pots on a shelf? A raised bed? Hanging? Window boxes?

** What kinds of planters do you use? Plastic? Ceramic? Other?

** Finally, please tell me what you are growing right now.

Would appreciate your replies and say thanks!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Lestie, can only tell you what is absolutely normal in Germany, but might sound odd elsewhere...........all types of containers are used.

From ancient watering cans, beer barrels and flour tins to bald car tires and state of the art Italian ceramic and terracotta planters. Big, small, scruffy, pristine. You name it, it, and perhaps more 'its', will be pride of place on someone's terrace or balcony.

The idea is a diverse mixture of textures filled with either a 'one color theme', like a mass of red or even white for night time emphasis, or a miss-mash of colors, which can be a high point or moved around. To catch or escape the sun, or simply to show off what is best while others are 'recovering'.

Not only flowering plants but vegetables, herbs, you name it.

I have grown everything from potatoes, water cress, hanging tomatoes and strawberries to melons, courgettes and peas, alongside all types of flowers. And always to a background of year round plants, to give body to the display throughout the year. So Rosemary, Sage and Lavender for example, together with evergreens such as Holly and hanging Ivy.

Things hang, creep along, stand upright.........and droop when I have forgotten to water them.

Bulbs are 'in there somewhere' for the first flowers of spring, and annuals planted later.

Something I learned in the Netherlands not only Germany. Both countries, perhaps because of space issues, have turned container gardening into an art form.

Love gardens and gardening it is so satisfying to see things respond and grow, but container gardening is somehow even more fascinating............a first crop of asparagus in an old sink last year, while it looks very much as if a vine planted as an afterthought two years ago is actually going to achieve wonderful things in a battered metal dustbin. smile

OK it sounds strange but let's say it is 'alternative', and certainly not at all unusual here. laugh

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Sjoe Francine - what a really nice post! Thanks.

I meant to answer then and there on the night I read it but life, like missed deadlines is rushing past and lookee here, we are already at the end of Easter it being 21st April.

Talking about space constraints, using Germany and Holland as examples, and the effect these have had on gardening in containers, I read the other day how architects are designing 'buildings' between buildings to use up the space so 'wasted'.

I think it is in the UK (and Japan?) that some of the research and design has been done - looks awful to me and I would hate to have to live in this suspended cubicle style unit. Still, I suppose if it does take off (?) then of course there would be many who would jump at the chance.

Now what has that got to do with container gardening? I dunno ... other than just to hope they, whoever they may land up to be, grow something in these connecting interim living spaces!

What a joy it is to love gardening! Me too.

Come on everyone, let us know what your container gardening space is made up of and what you are growing ...

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.