This week's exercise is a combination movement for the shoulders. It will increase strength as well as range of motion.
Front Raise and Lateral Raise
1. Begin in a standing position with your feet shoulder width apart and arms hanging at your side.
2. You will need a dumbbell in each hand. Determine the weight that is best suited for you. Do not try to overdo it using a weight that is too heavy. You will get stronger and move up to heavier weights then.
3. Take both arms and lift straight out from your chest with your palms facing down.
4. Next open both arms out to the side, even with your shoulders, keeping palms facing down.
5. Bring the arms down to your sides.
6. Continue the movement, lifting forward and then opening to the sides.
7. Do 1 or 2 sets for 10-12 repetitions.
Terri Johansen, Exercise/Yoga Editor
Don't forget to sign up for the weekly Yoga Newsletter.