Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

I have mentionned that I
have found a book that answers questions ,with answers from the 3 major lineages versions.
My next post in this thread ,will be question #1 What is Buddhism.

loong
simple buddhist

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Translated from french :Buddhism Questions and Answers.

QUESTION-1

WHAT IS BUDDHISM

People usually tend to classify Buddhism ,with the Great religions of humanity.Certain lineages of Buddhism tend to ,throughs ,decorum
ceremonies and rites bring Buddhism to the stature of a Religion

We could also say that Buddhism is also a Phylosophy,because it presents to it's followers A WAY OF LIVING or art of living.We could also add that it is a psychotherapy because it proposes a fantastic method of getting rid of suffering.Finally it is a

psychology,because it proposes he most advanced analysis of the MIND.
also of the mental up to now.

It is to this day unequaled in the last twenty six century but unfortunatly snobbed by the scientific community.

Loong'comment:I beleive that the scientific society has opene in the few last years to Buddhism,Meditation etc.

loong
simple buddhist,hope my next translation will be better.Been at it for 3 hours now.So be kind to me smile

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Translated from the french.

Question # 2
How many Buddhism is there?

There are 3 major courants in Buddhism and a number of which are of
a currents of doctrinal orthodoxy.The 3 Great Lineages are:

A; Theravada.It is the Buddhism of the ancestors the Buddhism of Buddha in some sort the texts written in the language of the Buddha
(PALI)
It was very popular in India and Nepal where it has almost disapeared.It is however observed In Burma ,Thailand,Cambodia,Laos,and Sri-Lanka.without forgetting all the Theravadean communities in the world.The other lineage call it HINAYANA(small vehicule) ,which I find perojative.It puts the accent on individual responsability of getting rid of suffering and obtain Nirvana(NIBBANA) in Pali.However it is in some way directed in the monastic way with a practice,precepts and a Morale that is very strict.It is not however an egoistical Buddhism ,since altruism is largely encouraged.

**If some words sound akward ,this my translation with the vocabulary I possess......

Tomorrow ,we look at The Mahayana courant or lineage.

loong
simple buddhistThat in some cases will add his comments ,like the fact that Thera does not give woman much place,The author had not n
mentionned this.As usual I
will be fair in MY comments based on My Dharma,

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

I am sorry ,I will have to stop this thread ,so as to keep peace

between lineages in this group.I am very sorry.
loong
simple pure buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

I have contacted the author of the book used "Bouddhisme questions et reponses"Mr Edouard Finn, if I could in some way,remove or alter certain parts that might be offensive to other lineages.
I await his answer.

loong
a simple buddhist

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
If you feel something is offensive, why not just not quote that part here? You should not quote an entire book anyway, as that definitely will run into copyright issues. So with any book you are quoting, you need to pick and choose the parts you think are the most helpful. Or just pick a different book to work with. What is it about this author that compels you to use this book? It seems like a lot of work to translate into English when there are many English books available about the same thing.

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 03/14/14 11:15 AM.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Lisa,

first the book

k was on sale at 50% in a store closing ,the few pages I read at thestore really ticked to my way of thinking.So I bought it .I have just received from England 4 books in english.So as you can see ,I quote from all kinds of masters.*I now mention thelineage of the author also.
like you say ,i will just quote with the " parts of the book or books.Up to now I always quoted from Mahayana books,is one is Thera and it is mentionned.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To Lisa ,
As you can see I did not write any posts on Mindfulness trainings,and understanding our mind.
,to respect your fright of copyright infringements.
Already wrote The Editor .Only Body Mind has copyrights ,the other Understanding your mind has no restriction for usage of the book's texts.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
today we will look in part 2 of question #2 "from the book
Bouddhisme,questions et reponses: by Edouard Finn.
We saw TheravadA we shall see today MAHAYANAlineage.

"The Mahayana is the Buddhism of the "great vehicule"It results in the speculations of numerous theological schools of India as early as the first century of our time.It is the Buddhism that the texts are written in sanskrit(which Pali derives from).Certains are are original sanskit so they are not contained in the pali Canon.
The Heart suttra, The Diamond suttra he Lotus suttra the Lankavatara sutr ,etc.Mahayana has a redemptorist approach .The member ,pure in his living of the sutras must not search to attain Nirvana.which would be considered an additionnal attachnent He/She, must instead pronounce a vow of Bodhisattva (promised to awakening),where one renounces Nirvana as long as ther will remain n the Universe a suffering being.However it has developped a certain attraction to emptiness which will culminate in the Ch'an
the Zen,where the sobriety of decors ,customs,and rituals that goes with a certain aspect of the minimalist theology.It is praticed in Vietnam Korea, China Japan":Our next text will be on the 3 rd great lineage Vajrayana,
"

Loong's comments.I am not in accord with the author regarding the Minimalist theology.Like I was not in accord with Theravada's
views of woman in Buddhism.Also mahayana is practiced now world wide like Thera.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
"from the french book "Bouddhisme ,questions et reponses"author Edouard FinnWe were at question #2 How many Buddhism are there?

We have glanced at Theravad and Mahayana.Today we shall look at the third big lineage.VAJRAYANA.

"vajrayana,litterally the vehicule if the Diamond.This form of Buddhism is of tibetan origin .(and to Hindi thantrism,almost all gone)They developped it rom the Northern Indian Mahayana,around the first century after christ,including in it practices from a religion with tantric chamanic tendencies.this preexisting religion bore the name of (BON),and of indian tantrism.his last one being
a Yogic practice described in texts,called tantra." I as agreed before,am suppressing part of the text which might be of no interest to the reader."Vajrayana is in Tibet,Nepal, Bhoutan,Lakdak and
even in Kalmoukie in the ex USSR."

loong's comment: Vajrayana is effectively a complex religion.,
however it is maybe the best known by the general public thanks to the H.H.DALAI-LAMA.There are 4 main schools in Vajrayana .
Tibetan buddhism has attracted people from around the world and are very open to woman in their lineages.I have heard speeches from a few female Masters.
It is very complex ,and if one engages in this lineage shoul find
him/herself a good Teacher, I have read 3 books on Tibetan Buddhism ,lucky I had Lisa ,the moderator to help me.

Enough for today.The next post shall be on other lineages also very popular and with a Mahayana beginning.

Loong
a simple buddhist.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.