Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I feel that having a rover on the Moon is very exciting. Lestie and gexton71, I'm glad to know you're sharing the excitement too. It is truly a marvelous achievement.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The lunar rover Yutu (Jade Rabbit) is in trouble. The rover should have shut down as lunar night fell, but had a technical malfunction and wasn't able to do that. It's now midway through the night, which is two weeks long and it's cold, down to -170 Celsius (-275 Fahrenheit). Next week when the Sun has risen on the Mare Imbrium, we will learn if Yutu survived the night. Even if it does, the technical problems may still not be solvable.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Poor Jade Rabbit. There has been no word from the Chinese space agency, but as lunar night fell, things weren't looking good. The national news agency released the story in the form of a diary entry. It read . . .

If this journey must come to an early end, I am not afraid. . . . I know I may not make it through this lunar night. The sun has already set here and the temperature is falling very quickly. I've said a lot today, yet still feel like it's not enough. I'll tell everyone a secret. Actually, I'm not feeling especially sad. Just like any other hero, I've only encountered a little problem while on my own adventure. Good night, planet earth. Good night, humanity.

It will be sad if the rover is lost. But I wonder who's writing this script - it's really rather sweet. Still it's been over two weeks now and no word.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The China News Agency reported yesterday that Jade Rabbit (Yutu) had not survived the lunar night after failing to shut down correctly. But now it seems that all may not yet be lost. The Xinhua news agency says the mechanical malfunction remains, but the rover is not dead. A spokesman for the lunar program says that Yutu is responding to signals. Some radio amateurs confirm that they picked up Yutu's downlink transmissions Wednesday night.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What's up with the moon goddess and her rabbit?

After waking up late from the 2nd lunar night, the Yutu rover did some on-the-spot observations, but is still unable to move. The mechanical problem isn't fixed, but both the rover and the Chang'e-3 lander had to go back into hibernation on Sunday. The vehicles are solar powered, so they need to shut down during the 2-week lunar night. This saves energy and protects their instrumentation during these periods of intense cold.

The Chinese space agency hasn't given any details about how they've been trying to resolve the problems with the rover.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.