Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Although the birth date is uncertain Ludwig van Beethoven is believed to have been born on December 16, 1770, in Bonn, capital of the Electorate of Cologne.

An iconic composer and child prodigy he broke new ground in Western classical music, and continued to produce musical masterpieces even when profoundly deaf.

Ludwig van Beethoven

'The Ode to Joy', choral finale from 4th movement Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L

Hello there Francine,

Do you remember and/or did you see that movie Immortal Beloved?

It's essentially about Beethoven's life and his friend and PA Schindler who sets out to find out to whom Beethoven wrote a letter addressed 'My immortal beloved.' Apparently there were many women in Beethoven's life so the task was not an easy one.

I think in the movie they find her but don't really remember and do not know if this is just poetic licence or not. I did enjoy the show and am determined now to watch it again on DVD or something, Gary Oldman made a fine actor for the main role of Beethoven.

I remember too seeing a documentary on his life and the utter frustration of his deafness - the scene where they had him with his ear on the top of the piano to 'hear' the vibrations of the notes as he was playing was a particularly poignant one.

His music? I use the fifth when I need to wake up my plants - I warn them that I am going to play it and then I do! I swear they love it just as they like the Moonlight Sonata on quiet and rainy days. Well, they haven't died yet and they are happily blooming and growing and fruiting and all and all as they should.

Thanks for your article, a nice reminder of a genius.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

He must have been incredibly frustrated Lestie, but still produced such wonders. Sounds that folks with fully functioning hearing couldn't come up with. A genius...and yes I believe he did have rather a large female fan club while he was alive smile

Love the idea of you playing Beethoven to your plants. Apparently they play music, not sure it will be Beethoven though, in large industrial greenhouses in the Netherlands and the tomatoes etc. really do taste better! Stranger than fiction eh?

While in Bavaria, probably also in other areas of Germany I don't know for sure, they pipe music into the cow sheds during the winter.......in the summer the cattle can enjoy fresh air etc......this also seems to lead to happier cows.

So thank goodness for people like Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Bach and all the others who produced such wonders for us all.

Plant life and cattle included of course cool

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.