logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hello, everyone! It's cold outside, isn't it? How cold is it where you are? Have you been on this odd Polar Vortex roller coaster? I live in NJ, just outside of Philadelphia, PA and the weather here has been so strange. Right before the last Polar Vortex we ended up going from 60 degrees down to 8 degrees in under 24 hours.

That had me thinking about those who struggle with their utility bills. It's not easy, but there are some things you can do to save money on your heating costs this winter. I wrote about it on the Home Finance page:

How to Save Money on Heating

What do you think? Do you have any special tips and tricks for saving money on heating during the winter? Do you keep your home cooler and bundle up or do you find was to better afford the gas or electricity you need to better heat your home?

Deborah Dera
Home Finance Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Deborah-

Welcome, welcome to BellaOnline. I am so glad to have you here. This was a great article.

I try to keep the thermostat down as much as I can and wear extra clothes. Fortunately we have separate thermostats for each room (electric heat) so we can keep some rooms cooler than others. We turn back the temperature in the main living areas when we go to bed.

We put draft stoppers at the door bottoms and have small ones at each of the windows to block any cold air.

It is very chiller here now. We live in Maryland so we aren't too far from you. Looks like we both are going to have a fun time with more Polar Vortex cold in our area.

Stay warm!

I look forward to more discussions with you in the forums.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks, Sandra!

Draft stoppers are a great idea. I am thinking of attempting to insulate my back apartment windows. The only thing holding me back is that I don't really want to block the little sunlight I get. I'll have to find a happy middle ground!

Deborah Dera
Home Finance Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I buy those plastic window cover kits every year. I rent, and my current home as well as the previous one do not have the best triple - pane - insulated windows. For just a few dollars and maybe 10 minutes with my hair dryer, and can seal those windows up! Every year I notice how much warmer and cozier it is as soon as I seal off my windows. These kits are great investments for very cold weather.

I also like to drink warm drinks instead of cold ones. it may seem silly,but walking around with a warm cup of herbal tea heats up your hands and warms your body, while a cool glass of water or soda cools you off. When you live in a cold climate, that warm cup creates a feeling of luxury.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
D
OP Offline
D
You are so right about a warm beverage, Lisa!

Deborah Dera
Home Finance Editor

Moderated by  Sandra Investing/HFinance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:22 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.