logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Raena Offline OP
OP Offline
R
New to this forum, Hello all! I am exhausted. Seven years ago I was sexually assaulted by an ex-boyfriend that I was still "friends" with, six years ago I got into a four year long relationship that was emotionally abusive and controlling with a guy who raped me, tag on top of that a coercive one night stand two years ago, and you've got my personal recipe for disaster. During this difficult assent into becoming sexually active, I picked up a minor eating disorder, tons of anxiety, self-doubt, and a sense of helplessness to name a few things. I'm in therapy now, and I'm in the process of unwrapping this complex package of hurt and mess. Its absolutely exhausting. The farther into the process I get the more I realize how often I trap myself on a daily basis, despite the absence of danger now. I realize more and more how much I blame myself for. Its exhausting. I'm in a functional relationship now with a guy who treats me well, thank God! But I'm still protecting myself, being defensive, trying to please him and appease him at every turn, even though none of these things serve me anymore. Its a long list of habits to break. Not to mention its awful, and un-fair to him, when I panic in perfectly safe situations. Any stories or tips on re-establishing a sense of safety in an intimate relationship? I'm working with my therapist, but I'd love to hear from someone who has done it or knows its possible. Its a pretty daunting task at the moment. Thanks!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
This sounds familiar. I have a long history of abuse starting with my mother and ended with my now ex-husband. I have been with my new husband for 12 years. My mother has passed away and I have absolutely no contact with the ex, but i still have things after all these years that set me into a semi-panic attack or I still have flashbacks and dreams of abuse and things done to me.I don't know if it will ever stop although over the past 12 years, it has slowly slowly gotten better. Thankfully I have been blessed with a great husband with a lot of patience. It does take time. I highly recommend group therapy and also reading a lot of self help books. Meditation and yoga has helped me tremendously.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.