Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On January 25, 2004, the Opportunity rover landed on Mars for a mission that was going to last 90 sols (90 Martian days, which are a bit longer than Earth days). Ten years later, she's still going strong and adding to our knowledge of the red planet.

Sadly, her twin sister Spirit got caught in a sand trap in 2009 and made her final transmission in 2010 as winter began on Mars. She didn't survive the winter and finally, in 2011 NASA formally ended her mission. You can read Spirit's story here.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 01/27/14 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Opportunity - Oppy to her friends! - did as others might on their birthdays. She took a selfie. Although she doesn't have a little cell phone, she does have some nifty cameras and can send messages home. Birthday snap of Opportunity on Mars taken with mast camera.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Mona, thanks for posting the photo - amazing how Opportunity's colors match the Martian landscape ...

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Mona,

Gee what a world you have opened up for me, I am enjoying running unimpeded around your site! Thank you so much.

The story of Spirit and Oppy is so nice too - but for my money, I am pleased that Oppy doesn't know about Spirit's demise - unless some silly person has told her. Long may she live and continue.

Do you know if they are going to send up another Spirit to take over? I guess it doesn't just cost two and six so who can say what's in the future.

How do you define a Mars winter and a Mars summer?

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Susan, I suspect it's more than coincidence that Opportunity's colors match the landscape. Probably she needs a good scrub and polish! smile At least she doesn't get muddy. It looks as though if it ever rained on Mars it hasn't done it for a few billion years.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Lestie, I'm glad you enjoyed it. No one's said whether they've told Oppy about Spirit. Perhaps she knows - you know how sisters are always texting each other.

But Opportunity isn't alone on Mars. In August 2012 Curiosity landed on Mars after a fantastically brilliant nail-biting descent. This is Forum thread about Curiosity from that summer.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a recent photo from Curiosity on Mars: Striated rocks with Mount Sharp in background You can't get such a vista all in one shot, so Curiosity took a number of photos so that this montage could be.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hey Mona,

Thank heavens I do not live on Mars - if I did I would be 2640 or so years old; I would certainly have to dye my hair and purchase a gravity-laden walking stick to get around.

Thanks for your very interesting site,
Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
NASA's preliminary budget shows no funding for Opportunity after this year. This isn't a final budget and of course, hasn't been approved by Congress. But it does suggest that the rover is being given a low priority by NASA compared to its other Mars exploration programs.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
One day last week, not long before sunset, one of Opportunity's cameras caught her silhouette on the rim of Endeavour Crater. Shadow Portrait on Mars

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.