Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Discover Tai Chi for balance & mobility, a DVD exercise program led by Scott Cole, provides a 30-minute Tai Chi routine focusing on improving balance, strength, flexibility and mobility for individuals beginning a Tai Chi practice, older adults, and individuals with physical challenges.

Discover Tai Chi for balance & mobility DVD Review

Have you ever tried Tai Chi? Did you find Tai Chi beneficial?

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Dear Jori.

Are there moves in Ti Chi that are not too hard on the knees and
shoulders? I have ligaments torn in both knees and my right shoulder has 2 tears also.This is not a joke.

I know Ti Chi is THE martial art .I used to be an athlete and I miss the training.

Loong
Buddhism

Koala
Koala
Dear Jori ,
If I would have checked the video,I would not have asked these
questions.
Sorry
Loong

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Good morning, Loong. I'm sorry to hear that you have such health problems in your knees and shoulders. My joint problems are in my feet and left hip, and I know the pain of bone-on-bone arthritic-type impairment. I do find that Tai Chi is gentle and accessible to me. After spending 30 to 60 minutes in Tai Chi, my joints feel better than when I began (unlike most other types of exercise, which leave me more sore for that day and the next).

Many of the moves in Tai Chi involve slow movement of the legs in a bent knee position. The exerciser determines how deeply to bend the knees. These moves may be too painful for you with your knee issues: You would have to determine if you could adapt the movements in a way that is healthful and comfortable to you, with consultation with your physician and/or physical therapist.

The arm movements are slow, gentle and graceful, using isometrics to gently tone the arms and shoulders. Again, you could adapt them by limiting the range of motion, but should consult with your physician and/or physical therapist on this.

Many local libraries have exercise DVDs available for checkout. Mine has several Tai Chi programs available. Perhaps you could check out a couple to view to determine if this may be something that you would benefit from and if it would be safe and helpful to you. Alternatively, you would be likely to find video samples of Tai Chi on the internet. That way, you would not incur the cost of buying a DVD without some determination of if Tai Chi would be good for you.

I understand your frustration and sadness over having to give up athletic endeavors. I was never really an athlete, but I did study dance for many years, and enjoyed performing as well. I miss that terribly. Learning Tai Chi has relieved some of my sadness in losing dance as I learn and increase my abilities to perform the graceful movements of Tai Chi.

I wish you much health and happiness! If you get the chance, let me know how your assessment of Tai Chi goes for you, and if you are able to develop a practice.

Jori

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases

Moderated by  Jori-ND Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.