Print Thread
#852442 01/24/14 06:29 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi there all,

Creative? What have you done to enhance your balcony space by way of non-gardening items. Ceramics on the wall? Pebble patterns surrounding your pots? Plastic butterflies or windmills in your pots? Wind Chimes? Gnomes and fairy statues? Busts of Caesar or Plato? Painted lollipop trees? Wallpapered screens. Oh my, the list is endless.

I have a friend who has an engraved pewter picture (she made it as a hobbyist) of that standard bust of Shakespeare you find everywhere ... she likes his comedies especially and reads him a lot. She says that she feels he is with her and doesn't think she is nuts when she reads the lines out loud. Ah well, it's her chill time and she loves it.

Have you done anything? Please tell. Thanks.

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 01/24/14 06:46 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey Lestie!

You recently asked how my container garden was going. Well, I moved this summer just after my container garden died (not enough drainage). Our new/old digs (we went back to our 11 year old condo) has a nice sized balcony (holds a huge gas grill, 1 bench, 2 chairs & a cocktail table and there is still enough room for another two chairs). I am hoping to plant a container garden this spring along the railing.

Back on topic, ahem (clearing my throat). I have a collection of hurricane lanterns and colorful, candle holders on balcony. I love candles and the beautiful glow they provide at night. My daughters and I have even started making our own candles. The collection makes me feel like we have an outdoor fireplace. For my family it's another of those things that make us grateful for our new/old digs.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Planning for the balcony has already begun in Germany Lestie. So the winter boxes are still looking good, the bulbs are starting to come through, for the cold weather time it has been very warm these last months, and the perennials are in beginning to bud. Which as snow is now appearing is probably not the best idea.

The balcony, and terrace, has always been another room, it's the German way. Well a European way really, in most areas it is used as an outdoor living place.

So there are tables, chairs, bird table, hurricane lamps, candles in wind proof holders, sage, rosemary and lavender plants always there, and soon the herb boxes will shoot.

Always have a mixture of flowers and veggies, special varieties of tomatoes and strawberries in hanging baskets as well as some with all types of flowers, zucchini/courgettes growing up the wall, etc. etc., but that won't begin for a few months yet.

Probably May when it will be possible to trust the weather a bit more.

Love terrace and balcony life, sitting out chatting, reading or listening to 'quiet' music, surrounded by candles with the beautiful scents from the various flowers, especially Night Scented Stock......and a glass of 'something' .......Bliss smile

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Yvonnie and all,

Your balcony sounds really nice and spacious ... do you really need the extra two chairs or could you use that space to put more pots than just along the railings? I am smiling as I write that - see I am not greedy about container gardening - I just like a lot! Mind you, since you know what time and resources you can put into your container garden (so important always), perhaps you need more chairs to share your lovely space and peace and chill time and candles with some lucky friends.

Drainage has caught a lot of us at one time or another - part of regular pot maintenance is to check those drainage holes and when repotting time comes along, even a better time to check.

Good luck with your planning Yvonnie, please keep us updated.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Francine and all,

It sounds like you have balcony and terrace sewn up and I am a tad green as I write this.

I have a small space that I call my own at the back of my flat which has room for just one chair but also has hanging container space, window ledges fr four planters as well as a large shelf area provided by a utilities cupboard which remains locked.

I am determined this year to do something about this space and was inspired by that lady I speak about in another post about smartening up a little or awkward space. Mine is little not awkward and I am lucky I get some nice sun and rain and all and all. All the more reason for me to get on with it.

There are some guys out there from Mindvalley who have coined the phrase 'Bliscipline' and I will now just misuse it to agree with you - we need to bliscipline ourselves so that we enjoy our balcony life with scents and sights and tastes and feelings ... friendship and candles too.

Thank heavens for containers!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey Lestie-

Not planning to put any extra chairs out. In terms of planning, you'll know, I'll be coming to you for tips.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello There,

I saw an idea in a magazine the other day that I think I am going to copy - it is surely easy enough.

They had thin dowel sticks mounted on the one side wall (you could use brass as well) behind a couple of lounging chairs and they were storing gardening magazines by hanging them over on the centre page.

The colours that this offered was great, the theme was in line with the garden and the magazines, protected by being on an inner wall, were readily available for reading and getting inspired all over again.

I liked it for sure, maybe you will too?

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.