Page 1 of 2 1 2
#852113 01/23/14 12:54 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Everyone,

I have so many ideas for articles and so much already researched and conversed and etc. BUT I am not sure that I know what you want to read about or grow or learn or discuss etc. Containers are such magical creatures and are so willing to serve!

Please give me some idea of what subjects you need me to cover and for this I say thanks. Otherwise, and there is always an otherwise not so! I shall just go on my way and write about whatever and whenever. Cheers now...

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Okay now I feel so smart with my new Avatar that maybe you will answer my question this time - please tell me what you want more of ro less off or none of?

Zoe has suggested Barley Greens and all (coming up) and I had another for Sunflowers, so, second request, what would you like to read or learn about?

BY THE WAY! I have to thank Francine from the German Culture site for her kind help with my getting my avatar up and smiling.

I liked it as it seems encouraging and happy - so when you are all weeded out, come visit the container gardening forum and just look at that bright face for some extra encouragement.

It is a piece of hand-painted Mexican pottery; wouldn't I love to have it on my wall too - I know just the place I would put it on my balcony.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
plants that can live together in a container ...

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Susan,

Thanks for this and you will know that there is a lot of info on this site in general but you are right, a specific article would be a good idea - will get to it soon.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
What about soil-less container gardening? The hydroponic container garden?

Making sprouts?

Wall container gardening?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Aha Lori! So you want to keep me busy and out of mischief?

Sure - you're on. Will answer your post with more detail later for wall containers (sleepy right now and there is not much difference - just watchpoints and choice of containersand mounting and all); sprouts article is coming up and as for soil-less gardening, well it is an interesting subject where you can really get your hands dirty! Hydroponics is a massive subject and deserves a site of its own - but an article will not go amiss for sure.

Thank you for these ideas - I will follow through so keep a watchout.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
How about vegetables? With spring coming up, lots of people are planning what they want to buy now. You can do an article per vegie or one whole article about vegies.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Jeanette and all,

You are right ...spinach is up next and a green bean teepee soon after, but let's see what other particular veggies people want to grow. The catalogues must be brimming with ideas and the garden centres and nurseries will have seedlings in season available.

Time for container maintenance? Time to re-assess your gardening situation (sun/shade/weather/rain/soil) and as you say time to choose!

Thanks and cheers

Lestie Mulholland

Z
Z
Hi Lestie, A few ideas. What about more information on keeping the container soil nutrient rich? Growing is going to deplete the soil of nutrients the plants need and can provide to us. Also basil, and an Indian variety, tulsi (holy basil) have medicinal properties. I went to a Hindu temple where I live, Lexington, Kentucky, USA, and the priest gave me a small amount of the plant kept by the altar. I place near my altar at home. At the asian market I bought fresh basil, dry it and use it as a medicinal tea. An article on this sacred plant and how to grow it in containers would be interesting. If there are any Hindu temples near you, you might be able to interview a priest about this subject. Hope its all sunshine by you! Still winter here. Zoe

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Zoe and all,

Thanks for these ideas Zoe, I will get to them for sure.

In general, keeping your container soil refreshed is to fertilise regularly, use compost, water correctly (so the roots get moisture not just the top of the plant), use natural mulches and of course, right from the start, use a good potting soil... loamy and loose and one which will drain well.

The worst thing you can do to any container plant is to let it dry out completely - it puts the plant under such stress and messes up other stuff like regular feeding etc. Never feed on dry soil - rather wait and feed a day later if necessary,

Hope this answers your query - let me know if not.

Here's to Basil - a how to grow is coming up!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.