Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello to you all - I thought I would save you some time and answer a possible current question by finding and posting this information for you here. It was taken from an article written by BOL Guest Author Lisa Beth Voldeck on this subject. I hope it helps you if you needed any. Tell us here though if you want anything else in this connection and I will try to assist.

Cheers now, Lestie-Container Gardening Editor

Caring for your Poinsettia

The Poinsettia, or Euphorbia pulcherrima, is arguably the most popular holiday plant for Christmas time. Most often people gravitate towards traditional colors such as red or white, though they are also available in very attractive yellow, pink, orange and green. Some poinsettias are speckled or streaked and if that's not enough for you, many growers even use dyes to create purple or blue poinsettias and add festive glitter.

Bright, indirect light is preferable for poinsettias. This can be provided in a window that gets morning sun or in a window that gets sun all day but is filtered by a curtain. A window that gets no direct sun at all can even be sufficient, especially if light is reflected off a nearby building or water. Direct midday sunlight on the leaves can result in brown patches, or scorching. Scorching of the leaves is permanent and the leaves may either be removed or left where they are, depending on which one will have the more pleasing appearance in the plant-owner's opinion.

Water can be a delicate matter; poinsettias do not like to be too dry and never too wet. Poinsettias that get too dry quickly lose their leaves and their stems go limp. Poinsettias that sit in standing water quickly rot. Neither scenario is good; over-dry poinsettias may eventually recover, but are often very unsightly afterward. Rotten poinsettias are, well...rotten. They don't come back. To prevent over-watering, be sure to remove any decorative wrapping on the pot and don't let the plant sit in a tray of water. Water it thoroughly, so that water runs freely from the bottom of the pot. When the water stops draining, it can then be placed back in its decorative container.

There is a longstanding old wives tale that poinsettias are toxic or poisonous and dangerous to keep in a home with pets or children. It is entirely untrue. More than one poinsettia grower has been known to eat bracts in front of touring spectators to demonstrate the harmlessness of the plant. This does not mean the plant is edible; eating large quantities isn't recommended as it isn't the most digestible foliage. Due to the awful, bitter taste, it is highly unlikely that anyone, especially a small child, would venture more than a small bite. As far as pets are concerned, the ASPCA affirms that poinsettias are not poisonous, but "irritating to the mouth and stomach, sometimes causing vomiting, but generally over-rated in toxicity."

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello there - did anyone get as a gift or buy a poinsettia for Christmas? Did you plant one in a pot perhaps as wonderful signature plant for a table centrepiece or your diningroom entrance? I read always that it is one of the most popular plants available and purchased over the holiday period for obvious reasons ... it is just so pretty.

Let us know, and I say thanks

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.