Next Thread
Print Thread
#851286 01/17/14 09:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Beginning this Sunday, January 19, 2014, let go of all negative media for one week. No television, radio, or news of any sort.

In my article, Positively Living I express the impact that negative media has on us. I also talk about how our conversations impact us as well.

In my newsletter, I challenge you to a weekly task, meant to move you toward a happier existence.

This week's challenge is avoiding negative media. I promise you anything important will come to you from those around you.

In fact, a study done at the University of Chicago says that the information your friends, family, and colleagues share with you will be based upon the emotional domain of your relationship. In other words, negative people will share negative news with you and vice-a-versus. As a bonus, this will offer insight to the relationships you nurture.

January 19-25, let's avoid negative media and gossip together. Chime in this week on how the experience is affecting you. Use the forum as a sort of diary if you will.

I'm looking forward to it.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
On following up on new year's resolutions and inspiration for all we seek go to web page of Robin Sharma and watch his video on 2014 and 5 steps for living and getting the best year ever. A friend passed it on to me and I have started to work with his ideas. Will they work? We'll just have to see - but one thing I do know is that I will be very certainly trying to drop or move away from the energy vampires and negative people in my life - I have determined not to carry that ball and chain around with me anymore. I wish me luck! It has just gone Sunday 19th here in Johannesburg - so I accept the challenge, thanks for making it Yvonnie! Cheers, Lestie - Container Gardening Editor

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Awesome sharing Lestie! Robert Sharma is now on my list of "must-see". Letting go of negativity and energy vampires, that's a great mission.

Can't wait to read your input and success tales.

To all-
Humor is welcomed! Let's have an amazing New You/Year!

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hey Yvonnie, I am pleased you chose to investigate Robin Sharma -and yes, I hope to be able to say earnestly that I have kept up with my new habits and thinking; self discipline counts for so much and I have to work at it all the time. Tiring but so fruitful and self-satisfying to know that I'm winning rather than giving up too soon. How is this for a nice bit of advice I got from one of the sites I subscribe to ...To enjoy the success you would like, you need to:
 Be willing to make tough decisions.
 Be willing to rise early and get moving.
 Be willing to give without expecting.
 Be willing to care more about others than yourself.
 Be willing to take chances that others won’t.
 Be willing to blaze a trail into unknown regions without looking back.
 Be willing to believe in yourself even if you are the only one that does.
 Be willing to look foolish while making mistakes.
 Be willing to always avoid making excuses
 Be willing to try over and over until it works.
 Be willing to be nice to everyone around you.
 Be willing to expect the unreasonable.
 Be willing to take responsibility.
 Be willing to go up against any and all obstacles.
 Be willing to heed the advice of those who were there before you OR to think about this quotation from Thomas Edison - Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Cheers
Lestie-Container Gardening Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lestie-

That's good stuff.

The only one I challenge is caring more about others than yourself. I think that statement requires definition.

In our mission on earth I suggest that we understand that our greatest service to mankind is about mankind, and not about ourselves.

Meanwhile, caring for ourselves is a very important task. Many of my female clients, especially those that are married and with children, care so much more for others than themselves, that they forget to get back to them at all. At the end of the day, a woman in this situation often loses herself.

So the idea of service to others is great! Still, it is important to understand the responsibility of caring for ourselves. In fact, without caring for ourselves it is hard to give our best to anyone else.

Have a great day Lestie and keep us posted.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Yvonnie and all,

Yes you are so right but in this context I think or it could be that while it is loosely worded, the writer was referring to those who are just egocentric, egotistical and selfish. I don't think he was advocating lack of self care or disrepect or dislike of the self to the extent that all you do is care for others. That kind of care becomes second rate and resentful and leads to a mean cycle of becoming dysfynctional somehow. No-one should ever be able to be described as a 'door mat.'

You know how, on a plane, the stewards tell you to put on your facemask for oxygen first and only then help others. Well if you were too busy helping others first, your efforts would be cut short if you can't breathe. So I think that maybe that is a better way to look at that point above.

Still, what would be a better way to put it? How about

Be willing to be less self-centered and care more for others.

Just thinking out loud, it'll be interesting to read what others think, thanks and bestest

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lestie-

I like that rewording. wink

Last edited by Yvonnie-Inspired; 01/19/14 12:39 PM.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Removing the negative news, TV shows, and other media can be hard.

So, how's it going out there?

Chime in. Be an inspiration...

Last edited by Yvonnie-Inspired; 01/22/14 09:13 PM.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Very important challenge, Yvonnie. And Lestie contributed some great thoughts, too.

I do avoid the obviously negative media (or what feels negative to me). Programs, books, movies and music that are gratuitously violent, criminal or horrifying. I don't listen to media talkingheads that spew out negative, attackitive (my son made that word up) opinions.

It's hard to avoid the negativity in the news media though but I limit my exposure. I filter my news reading via Internet sources because the television/cable news coverage repeats and focuses on the tragic or criminal events.

It's easier to listen to better music selections now that we're not reliant upon radio.

As for TV shows, I really enjoy watching nature, science, history and social documentaries. My husband doesn't like some of the social programs since they depict some of the fringe-type lifestyles but I don't consider these negative, just different.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey Lori-

Thanks for chiming in. You are a great example of positivity. Proof in the putting.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.