logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Rime or Rhyme: Which is Correct?

“Rhyme” came into English usage through an unfortunate error; now it is so widespread that many readers think the original, correct spelling is incorrect.

The most successful poetry textbook ever written is Laurence Perrine’s Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry. Professor Perrine died before the book reached its ninth edition; his successor, Professor Thomas Arp, renamed the text Perrine’s Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry. The text is now in its 14th edition and continues to be selected for its clarity and depth in poetry instruction. Laurence Perrine used the spelling “rime” throughout his influential textbook; he was interested in accuracy.

Origin of the Term “Rhyme”
The term “rime” in Old English was “hrim”; in Middle English, it had become “rime” and remained so until the 19th century, when English printers misguidedly started spelling it “rhyme.” The error was encouraged by Samuel Johnson, who mistook the term as a derivative of the Greek “rhythmos.”

Shakespeare and Coleridge
In Shakespeare’s sonnets, the spelling is always “rime”; the sonnets were written two centuries before the error. The famous poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge is “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.”

Rime, Not Rhyme
I prefer the spelling “rime” for two reasons: I am not comfortable perpetuating an error. And a rule of poetry, indeed all writing, requires brevity in language use: never use a long word, when a short one will do, and never use two words when one will do. The spelling, “rime,” is one letter fewer than the bulky, erroneous “rhyme.”

It is unfortunate that an error has taken hold of a perfectly good word and changed it for so many generations of readers, writers, printers, publishers, and editors. Today the forms “rime” and “rhyme” are considered interchangeable by many editors, while most prefer and even insist on “rhyme.” Some readers even believe that the term “rime” is actually incorrect except when referring to a type of ice

Last edited by Linda Sue - Poetry; 12/19/13 06:20 AM.

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I did not know this. I will remember to write it as "rime".

You bring up a very good point about words and misspelling. Our language and punctuation are changing. I find as I am editing books that there is a debate on what is correct terminology currently. There are different versions online, each claiming that they are correct. It can make editing difficult.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I am so excited to have convert! I have thought about waging a serious campaign to try to get editors to stop using that ridiculous spelling. Maybe I will give that idea some more thought.

Here is an article from the New York Times, August 22, 1888, which clearly demonstrates the wrong-headedness in using any spelling but "rime": Rhyme, Ryme, or Rime

Thanks for joining the effort, Sandra. Spread the word every chance you get!

Last edited by Linda Sue - Poetry; 12/19/13 09:51 AM.

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple

Moderated by  Karena - Poetry Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.