Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Today is the second Sunday of Advent, and last week the first of four candles was lit on the Adventskranz: the Prophecy candle - 'Candle of Hope', and today it is joined by the Bethlehem candle - the 'Candle of Love'.

Advent and Advent Wreaths in Germany

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/15/13 08:23 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Francine,

I love the photos of the wreaths!!!

My grandmother is German-Russian and she would bake and bake and bake, I mean all day!!

As soon as we were done w/one huge meal she would keep saying eat, eat and move on to the next meal preparation. We're talking wall to wall foods.

During Christmas it was an even more exceptional time with cakes and cookies in tins that reached the ceiling from the top of the refrigerator.

Do you remember a cake called, Lebkuchen? It had a gingerbread flavoring to it, but this one didn't have raisons or fruits of any kind.

I had brought it to school one year, trying my hand and it won something, don't remember what, but it was a Christmas- cake and ever since, just never been able to find a recipe for the thing.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Lol...

I made the previous post just before I went to go take a look at your article and in the first paragraph IN BRIGHT RED, none the less, there's what?

LEBKUCHEN! Love how "these things" work out (he-he). Thank you!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Here it is. I'm so appreciative and it's just so well done I've added the link for which it was I found the "Lebkuchen" I had been searching.

A Christmas gift early one might say wink

Authentic German Gingerbread Recipe

Thank you again. Wonderful!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Did laugh reading your description of 'wall to wall foods' Elleise........and it hasn't changed that much from the time your Grandmother remembered and continued.

Baking is still a really a strong tradition for every day and all occasions, while as December 25 signaled the end of a longish fast, even on Christmas Eve little was eaten, from Christmas Day onwards it was time to eat for the Olympics.

Not many follow the Advent fast these days, but the custom of not much on Heiligabend followed by the twelve days of Christmas literally filled with food has not gone anywhere. smile

Glad you found the Lebkuchen recipe, perhaps on day you can try it and see if it is anything like you remember...... made a lantern from gingerbread last year. Lit up it looked and smelt great, but meant it wasn't eaten, so that was a few less calories consumed. Phew!

And yes Advent wreaths do look super don't they. Such a lovely custom, and although a German Christmas has so many traditions an Adventskranz in the home has to be a favorite. Fun to make, really lovely to see and for weeks there is this lovely 'Weihnachten' scent coming from their various evergreen twigs and leaves. cool

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.